Motu vs M-audio

Polpotkin

Hit'er in the shitter
Dec 12, 2005
Sweden
www.myspace.com
Hi!
I´m thinking of upgrading my homestudio. So I have checked out m-audio delta 1010, rackmounted or a 2nd hand motu 2408mkII.
I´m using Cubase SX1 on PC and I´ve heard motu is better with mac.
I hope to be able to upgrade with more i/o, and delta1010 is easy to expand with more units, and the 2408 is easy to expand through lightpipe...

Which one is the best choice for me?

I'm using a Motu1224, really great device.
I've started on a PC, with loads of Latency problems, then put it onto my Mac, and Voilá problem solved...
I'm still using the PCI3 series card in the computer....

BTW, does anybody know if I can expand with a 2408MK1 2 or 3?
So I have more channels? Since the 1224 is taken out of their catalogue?

Yeah, I think i´ll go with the motu.
By the way, is there any other card I should consider? in the same pricerange.

deathtotaliban> But mkII does not include any mic-pre´s?

Funky Animal> I guess you have an old PCI-card (324?), in that case I think you can expand with mkI & II, but not III since it´s not compatible with the PCI. But i´m not 100%

Polpotkin said:
Yeah, I think i´ll go with the motu.
By the way, is there any other card I should consider? in the same pricerange.

deathtotaliban> But mkII does not include any mic-pre´s?

Funky Animal> I guess you have an old PCI-card (324?), in that case I think you can expand with mkI & II, but not III since it´s not compatible with the PCI. But i´m not 100%

Consider the MOTU Traveler if you want to have 4 mic pres instead of 2. I have a Traveler and I love it. Plus it can run off bus power over Firewire. We use it in our live rig to do backing tracks AND our in-ear monitor mix, thanks to MOTU's CueMix analog monitoring stage (a reason to go with MOTU in itself - it has a million uses!)

Hey Shane, just checked the Traveler, didn't knew it before, seems great and affordable.

Are any drawbacks in the Traveler if compared to the 2408 or the 828? Dragged my attention.

LynchpiN said:
Hey Shane, just checked the Traveler, didn't knew it before, seems great and affordable.

Are any drawbacks in the Traveler if compared to the 2408 or the 828? Dragged my attention.

No, it's a newer product and really hits a sweet spot in the market. The only thing that's missing is a foot-switch jack, which the other MOTU units have. If you don't care about that, then don't worry! What you see is what you get with the MOTU stuff, they're all unbelievably great pieces of hardware.

another vote for the motu clan. my 828mk11 has been pretty sweet. and like kazrog said the cuemix monitoring mixer is soooooo good. another plus can be found here http://www.blacklionaudio.com/motu_firewire_mod.html its a modification where they improve just about everything(pres, converters, etc.) plus its only around $250.00 for a converter upgrade! anyone heard anything about this good or bad. there was a thread on gearslutz about this and everyone who had it done said it was well worth it and the converter quaulity was definetly improved. there are "before and after samples on their website. im gonna get it done soon and will report back with the real scoop.

unsilpauly said:
another vote for the motu clan. my 828mk11 has been pretty sweet. and like kazrog said the cuemix monitoring mixer is soooooo good. another plus can be found here http://www.blacklionaudio.com/motu_firewire_mod.html its a modification where they improve just about everything(pres, converters, etc.) plus its only around $250.00 for a converter upgrade! anyone heard anything about this good or bad. there was a thread on gearslutz about this and everyone who had it done said it was well worth it and the converter quaulity was definetly improved. there are "before and after samples on their website. im gonna get it done soon and will report back with the real scoop.

Wow, that has me interested... thanks for the link!! :kickass:

Kazrog said:
No, it's a newer product and really hits a sweet spot in the market. The only thing that's missing is a foot-switch jack, which the other MOTU units have. If you don't care about that, then don't worry! What you see is what you get with the MOTU stuff, they're all unbelievably great pieces of hardware.

Thanks for the input. I don't plan on traveling a lot with it, so I'll have the 828MkII. :kickass: