Movie Dialog Samples

Brett - K A L I S I A

Dreaded Moderator
Feb 26, 2004
France
www.towerstudio.net
Hey guys,

I am wondering the following question : we very often hear samples taken from movie dialogs on CDs. I guess that most of the time, the band doesn't even care to declare it. But in reality, what does one have to do when using some, and how much would that cost ?

Any facts ?

Brett

Brett - K A L I S I A said:
Hey guys,

I am wondering the following question : we very often hear samples taken from movie dialogs on CDs. I guess that most of the time, the band doesn't even care to declare it. But in reality, what does one have to do when using some, and how much would that cost ?

Any facts ?

Brett

hey man ,
check this thread i looked up for you
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/onemusic/legal/samplep01.shtml
good info on the topic

Usually they don't mind much as long as you aren't selling the music with the samples on it. If you are...they will care. Big time. We used a clip from a comedy cd of a late great comedian once for the intro to one of my band's cds. We asked permission to whoever was in-charge of his estate, and they were cool with it as long as we didn't sell it. Well, we weren't selling them at first. But when were about to, we had tried to contact them to find out how much of the sales they wanted. They didn't get back with us on it, so we sold them anyway, thinking they wouldn't really know anyway. We weren't trying to make money off of the clip, we were selling our music, but because we were selling the cd's which had the clip on it, we were making money (technically) off of that sound clip. Somehow they did find out, and then they were all pissed off. They only wanted like .08 cents per cd, which we happily gave them, but they weren't happy about it. As soon as we had paid them their royalty fees, they asked us to remove the clip from our cd.

So, if we would have made sure to get ahold of them (and not try just one time, lol) and ask for permission to sell, they would've still wanted the 8 cents per cd, but we could've kept using the sample. Instead we owed them royalties, and we had to take it off of the cd. Real life example :)

~006

Definitely take it easy with stuff like that, my brother almost got screwed over because he used a sample from Blair Witch Project, or whatever it's called, on a drum&bass track of his. The people that owned the rights contacted him with a not so friendly letter and he lost a record deal because of it...
I'd definitely ask before using one, then again loads of bands use samples without permission and get away with it, i guess it all depends on what kind of music it is and how big the market is, a grindcore band using a movie sample won't raise too many eyebrows i think...