Movie news: A disaster waiting to happen.

Maybe it was predictable that this would happen sooner or later, now that the American movie industry claims to have a reawakened critical sense of their country's political and economical situation.
Looking at similar movie adaptations such as "1984", I really don't know if such dark visions of Utopia should not be left to literature only.

And all these celebrities are fans of Rand? - I think in Germany, she is at best known among philosophical circles. I myself actually got interested only due to Spiral Architect...

Well...it looks like we can blame Ayn Rand for the Brad and Jen split, since Jolie was only concerned with maximizing her own selfish pleasures.:lol:

Occam's Razor said:
Looking at similar movie adaptations such as "1984", I really don't know if such dark visions of Utopia should not be left to literature only.
V for Vendetta was one of the finest films I have seen in a long time. Of course, the ending was utterly mauled, but I am still on the fence as what to make of the old Hollywood switcheroo that anyone who sells the rights to their work should know is coming down the pike--especially when it is bleakness and ambiguity vs. happiness and closure.

I have to say that the next movie I'm going to see is Flight 93. With everything that has been attached to it by politicians, I was a bit wary, but the director is the man responsible for Bloody Sunday, so I am holding out hope that it will be a stark movie that will offer a detached glimpse of a larger human impulse at work.

I am not a movie-fan or expert, but I think the entertainment factor weighs heavier for cinema than for literature; it is easier for a book author to display "higher" ambitions such as criticism and information of his audience and be credible than for movie makers - films, especially from mainstream institutions like Hollywood, can hardly shake of reproaches of being superficial and pretentious - even when trying to be profound.

Occam’s Razor said:
I am not a movie-fan or expert, but I think the entertainment factor weighs heavier for cinema than for literature; it is easier for a book author to display "higher" ambitions such as criticism and information of his audience and be credible than for movie makers - films, especially from mainstream institutions like Hollywood, can hardly shake of reproaches of being superficial and pretentious - even when trying to be profound.
I do not think that this is inherently the case. It would be foolish to argue that this is not the way things have turned out to a certain degree, but if you don’t seal off particular sections of the written word with the term “literature” then the contrast is really not present. There are scads of novels written with no other goals than to titillate, entertain and sell by eliciting a visceral and vulgar response from consumers and their wallets.

The Hollywood film industry is in a serious state of disrepair for many reasons—the search for a formula that will generate a quick hit, producing remakes of previous movies and adaptations of television series to capitalize on the nostalgia factor and make the entire process cheaper and the endless stream of action-packed blockbusters with shallow dialogue made in order to take advantage of the international market (because of language barriers, not the need to dumb things down for a foreign audience)—but the culture has become much more commercial and venal, and the film industry reflects and contributes to the process.

There are now a good 10 minutes of commercials (not trailers) before a movie begins in cinemas in the States and the audience sits passively or laughs at the follies centering around a product or comments approvingly on the car, body wash, or paper towels being hawked. Fifteen years ago or so, the industry attempted to insert commercials before films, and had to withdraw them because of a hostile audience reaction that was vocalized through booing and hissing—no marketer wanted his product associated with such a negative feeling. But in this day and age, a new generation or demographic who is less sensitized to the boundaries between art and commerce is the target audience that drives the industry and many movies have become vehicles to generate cross-marketing opportunities.

They just don’t make movies like Starman (1984), for instance, as often anymore. Asimple story that had no pretensions of changing the world, ripping down the barricades, or fashioning a piece of high modernist art, it merely touched the heart in order stir the minds of people from all walks of life in way that was entertaining and intellectual.

Despite Marshall McLuhan’s claims to the contrary, I think that the divide between a movie and a book is not unbridgeable. In the early days of television, there was a show called Playhouse 90 that presented an hour and a half drama written by some of the leading playwrights of the day. It was sponsored by companies, but the notification of their role in funding the tale was brief and unobtrusive. However, television executives and advertisers began inserting commercials in the midst of programming and a continuous hour and a half of drama tackling serious questions that could make the audience intellectually uncomfortable was not something conducive to selling products no matter where the advertisements were placed. One of the best screenwriters of the Playhouse 90 cohort was Rod Serling, and the growing commercialization of the medium did not allow him to get his real, gritty and bleak visions on the small screen anymore, so he created the The Twilight Zone, where he could tackle serious issues in half-hour stories that were not viewed as being as trenchant as his plays, because the Zingobeians from Gaptropton 9 provided some distance from the import of the what was flickering across the tube.

Films and novels can be crass or uplifting and both forms of media can evoke emotions and increase understanding by placing us in another time, place or person’s shoes, but you are right in some ways, since the visual medium is much easier and more profitable to commercialize in the end, so it has grown like a cancer and pushed everything else to the margins--but it did not have to come to this sorry pass.

Planetary Eulogy said:
I take it you don't get to the picture shows that often...
You hit the nail right on the head, Mr. MacLaurie. I live in a small town (pop. 40,000-45,000) and there are two movie theatres. One is a chain multiplex with around 10 screens, and these are filled with the retreads, remakes and blockbusters Hollywood churns out in an assembly-line fashion. The other one is a second-run cinema that plays some of the same fare at a discounted rate, but it does screen films which do not make it to the multiplex(e.g. Hotel Rawanda, The Constant Gardener) on a semi-regular basis, but are not obscure art-house releases, foreign films or documentaries. So I do not attend the movies as frequently as I would if there were more choices available. There are numerous films I read reviews of in the metropolitan papers that I will have to rent and watch at home this summer when I have more time to devote to films than I do now--another obstacle that leads me to view movies in spurts over the course of the year.

As for V for Vendetta, I am not going to sit here and make any grandiose claims in its defense but as I am sure you can guess, a solid, straightforward moralistic and didactic tale is highly rated around these parts.

Speaking of which, I saw Inside Man last night without knowing too much about what was going to be coming out of the projector, and was treated to a fine tale of cops and robbers with a slight narrative twist.

I am betting that you are not a big Spike Lee fan though.:lol:

V for Vendetta was fair. I disliked the blatant "we hate Bush" attitude because it just dropped the credibility of the film (and I do hate the moron, but it's not just his fault.)

A movie disaster waiting to happen: Poseidon. the scriptwriter clearly failed physics on at least 2 counts: 1. Tsunamis are shockwaves at sea. They are not 100ft+ waves until the shockwave reaches shore. 2. In the trailer a character says "ships aren't meant to float upsidedown." While it could cause some obvious gravitational issues for things not nailed down, floating is dependent primarily on displacement, regardless of orientation. Water flooding through the displaced area is the problem, not that the boat is flipped.

and probably worst of all: 3. It's clearly trying to cash in on the Titanic success, despite how terrible that film was.

Kenneth R. said:
A movie disaster waiting to happen: Poseidon.
Well...it is a disaster movie.:p

Seriously though, every now and again I like to let myself go, become wrapped up in the hype of a summer movie and get psyched up for one, and Poseiden is one that I'm going to see as soon as it comes out. Remakes really bug me, but in this case it is kind of drawing me in. I was enamored of The Poseiden Adventure back when I was a young lad (Ernest Borgnine, Red Buttons, Roddy McDowall...it is a fiesta of excellent character actors) and I've always been a big fan of Kurt Russell and many of his movies, so it is too late for me...I'm hooked like a fish.

Kenneth R. said:
V for Vendetta was fair. I disliked the blatant "we hate Bush" attitude because it just dropped the credibility of the film (and I do hate the moron, but it's not just his fault.)

As I understand it, the original comic book was at least in part a reaction against Thatcher in Great Britain, so maybe a movie released in 2006 isn't making too big a stretch to be anti-Bush (although I'd never recognize if something is anti-Blair as I don't know too much about that guy).

Anyway, if you're going to trash Bush, one should do it in Colbert fashion... to his face, on live television. :D