Well..f*#k. Ticketmaster news...

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
Global ticket seller Ticketmaster Entertainment is near a deal to combine its operations with concert promoter Live Nation, the Wall Street Journal reported Tuesday.

The Journal, citing people familiar with the matter, said the boards of the two companies had not yet approved the deal, which would create a company called Live Nation Ticketmaster.

It said, however, that the deal could be announced as early as next week. It would not entail any exchange of cash, the paper reported on its website.
Live Nation spokesman John Vlautin said the company does not comment on "rumors and speculation." Spokesmen for Ticketmaster did not immediately respond to messages seeking comment.

In October, West Hollywood-based Ticketmaster completed the purchase of a majority stake in talent agency Front Line Management Group for $123 million in cash. That deal was seen as allowing Ticketmaster to better compete with Beverly Hills-based Live Nation, which is increasingly signing comprehensive rights deals with artists and started up its own ticketing operation in January.
The Journal said that a hitch in a deal between Ticketmaster and Live Nation would be antitrust concerns raised by combining two companies with such powerful positions in the music industry.

Source:
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117999549.html?categoryid=16&cs=1

F***ing Microsoft!!! ...oh, wait. :)

Bummer... it seems like Live Nation was in a position to do something extremely good for the live music circuit by possibly taking down the TicketRapist behemoth.

F***ing Microsoft!!! ...oh, wait. :)

Bummer... it seems like Live Nation was in a position to do something extremely good for the live music circuit by possibly taking down the TicketRapist behemoth.
Yeah, but they are probably feeling the pinch of the economy like everyone else right now. Guess they felt this was a business move that would give them some security through this depression/recession/whatever level of shit we are at now.

It's too bad though. I also was hoping TicketBastard was on their way out.

I'm afraid nothing is ever going to take down the Ticketbastard machine. At the very least, it would have been nice to see some competition between Ticketmaster and Live Nation. Then again, I don't think it's merely these industry giants that are responsible for the gouging ticket prices. Some of the artists that tour these days seem to think they're hot shit. For example, Joe Satriani, though an excellent guitarist, is now charging around $75 for tickets. I understand that album sales aren't what they used to be, but I believe that if all you're paying to see is a man and his guitar, you shouldn't have to pay $75 bucks. I will pay $75 bucks to see Satriani fighting Eddie the Head while a massive light show plays on stage, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

THis sucks. Will this leave any competition to Ticketbastard?

Antitrust?
Who was TM's competition before Live Nation?

Anyhow, I suppose, if feasible, the best option would be to go to the box office of the venue. I know for some this might be a hassle, as it would be an extra trip to get the tickets, where just paying the TM fee would be worth it.

THis sucks. Will this leave any competition to Ticketbastard?

There's really only a few online ticket places and tickets.com which really isn't that much better. Though at the very least, they weren't doubling the price of a $7 ticket back when I actually used them like TM does all the time but it has been several years. The main problem is ticketbastard's stranglehold on exclusive contracts with a lot of venues that prevent any real competition.

Yeah, but they are probably feeling the pinch of the economy like everyone else right now. .

Yeah, and the customer's don't feel the 45% cost of ticket "convience fees" per each ticket. Tickets at the door of show: $10 Presale: $8 Presale with Ticket Bastard: $12. I understand mark ups, but not at 50% in addtion to all the other "fees" they get.

Guess they felt this was a business move that would give them some security through this depression/recession/whatever level of shit we are at now.

It's too bad though. I also was hoping TicketBastard was on their way out.

Me too.

-MetalRose

Unfortunately, TicketRapist will never disappear unless people start voting with their wallets. Obviously the price gouging is not yet a big enough deterrent to people buying tickets, and until people start boycotting venues with exclusive TicketRapist contracts (or simply not being able to afford them), TR and their outrageous fees are not going anywhere.

I should mention that I'm not suggesting we should not go to events like ProgPower. For those of us who go every year, the cost of tickets, transportation, lodging, food, beer, merch, etc., is all worth it to us -- TicketRapist fees are a drop in the bucket by comparison. I'm talking about things like local stops on tours, sporting events, and the like. Until some sort of action is taken by consumers, this price gouging will go on.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck. So bummed to see this happening. Live Nation hasn't done much for the concert circuit imo except drive up prices along with Ticketmaster. They also work very hard to keep independent promoters from putting together their own festivals- not sure about PPUSA, but I've seen other fests really get harassed by them. Now they can merge and price it higher still with all the fees n bullshit they want.

Monopoly is right.

I make the extra effort whenever possible to get tickets directly from a venue box office, or sometimes even from an opening band selling tickets, since those usually come from the venue. This is no big deal for me since I live in a city and can use public transit, but I've done it and taken the bigger hit on gas costs out in the burbs just to know I had slightly more control over who gets (and doesn't get) my hard-earned money.

Antitrust? Who was TM's competition before Live Nation?
That's not relevant. Lot's of companies start a business in a market place where no competition exists. However, when competition does arise and the competiting companies join forces, that's when antitrust laws kick in. By way of example, XM Radio began with no competition in the market place until Sirius came along. When they decided to join forces, they had to go through a lengthy antitrust legal battle. Ultimately, they proved that they weren't cornering the market, as competition exists in the form of terrestrial radio, CDs, MP3s, internet radio, etc. I'm not sure how Ticketmaster can demonstrate that competition would still exist after this merger.

Zod

Well Live Nation is becoming a major label.. so why not issue the tickets for their bands... and opposing bands. Should be interesting how they balance it.

I hope that more venues continue to use ticketalternative.

I would not bank on the anti-trust laws on this one as I am not sure the competition factor is as cut and dry as it seems. There are other smaller ticket outlets and certainly tickets are available by other means. Granted, this is not major competition, but then again, really only thought of standard radio, cd's and such as "indirect" competition with XM and Sirius,...much the same as these existing ticket alternatives.

On the plus side...the general dislike (to put it mildly) for TM and LN is far reaching and likely could be a strong factor in influencing the outcome of any anti-trust hearings, where that factor was a non issue in regards to XM / Sirius. Also with XM / Sirius I believe there was a strong belief that there could ultimately be the failure of both companies and thus the loss completely of the outlet (at least for the short term). Not so sure that could be said here.

Then again, I am not so sure any of this really maters as I do not see a benefit to these companies pricing structures and offerings as they now exist. Not so sure anything much would really change.

I am fortunate though that I seldom have to deal with either, once or twice most a year maybe?...which is still too much.
Most clubs we go to deal with e-tix.
Anything else if I can, that's local, is a trip to the venue for tix, mostly sporting events fall into this category of buying.