Well..f*#k. Ticketmaster news...

Unfortunately, TicketRapist will never disappear unless people start voting with their wallets. Obviously the price gouging is not yet a big enough deterrent to people buying tickets, and until people start boycotting venues with exclusive TicketRapist contracts (or simply not being able to afford them), TR and their outrageous fees are not going anywhere.

While the logic I agree with- it's all a big catch 22.

If you don't want to pay the fees how else are you going to get into a show? 1. Guest list or 2. Get tix at the door. But not a lot of people have that luxury of being on the guest list and for shows that people want to see, not a lot of people are going to wait to get tickets at the door... Espeically if there is a limited amount of "at the door" tickets.

So the option is, no matter how bad you want to see the band/event/sport- Don't go. Ok. Makes sense.

Now say your favorite band/event/sport/whatever comes along. Everyone else in the country is on a TicketBastard strike. So the tickets don't sell. Which means they cancel the remaining events and call it quits. Then they decide since they didn't sell any tickets, coming back isn't worth the expense. So you've missed out.

It's a catch 22.

I understand that businesses are out for profit, but I wish they'd just say the price of the ticket is $X not $x plus fees.

I call Bullshit...

Fees that Ticketbastard/does can charge:

1. Ticket delivery- (Yeah you emailed me and I had to print it out! How expensive is that? I'm using my own ink and paper!) The electronic convenience charges have been charged even when purchasing a ticket directly from Ticketmaster box offices.

2. Convenience fee- Conveniece? What convenience? It's only convenient for Ticketbastard. You're already charging me for delievery... and if I went to the box office, I've already spent gas and time. Email? I'll perhaps concede on that one. Also known as service charge... sometimes a charge can be for both. Wait, it's convenient for you to charge us as much as you want!

3.Building Facility Charge
- Even for out door venues? So now you are charging us to use the bathroom?

4. Order Processing Charge - How is this different from the Convenience fee? Really? Aside from the name?

5. Shipping fees (plus optional express postage)- $14.95 for a 23.5 cent bulk mail metered letter? That ticket better come in a gold lined envelope for that price. Even more expensive if you do over night shipping... And by the way, if I'm going to pick up my tickets at the door why am I still charged?

6. Parking Fees
- How can you charge this? What if I don't drive? What if the venue has no parking lot? And seriously if I pay you this fee, why in the hell do I still have to pay for parking?

-MetalRose

1. Ticket delivery- (Yeah you emailed me and I had to print it out! How expensive is that? I'm using my own ink and paper!) The electronic convenience charges have been charged even when purchasing a ticket directly from Ticketmaster box offices.

2. Convenience fee- Conveniece? What convenience? It's only convenient for Ticketbastard. You're already charging me for delievery... and if I went to the box office, I've already spent gas and time. Email? I'll perhaps concede on that one. Also known as service charge... sometimes a charge can be for both. Wait, it's convenient for you to charge us as much as you want!

1 - this one's the real kicker since they don't even go so far as to email to you anymore. They put it on their site and you go get it. We should be charging them as consumers since we're using our own ink and our own paper rather than having it printed out on their cardboard & ink.

2 - at this point I'd rather take the gas hit than give TB the money...even if it's the same, or slightly more, dollar amount.

I learned my lesson about these fees in 2006 for Gigantour. Tickets for this show would have cost me $22 total after all fees if I'd gotten them from a Ticketmaster window. Instead I paid at the door for $10. It was $7 for the ticket, (which I was certainly fine to pay to see Megadeth & Overkill) plus a $3 parking fee, a reasonable fee, that went straight to the venue. Of course this is harder to do for shows that would sell out in advance.

McDonalds the ticketbastard way: You walk into McDonalds and order a combo meal- let's say big mac. The total of the meal is $10 (for simplicity sake).

Based on calculations from actual Ticketbastard fees:

1. Convenience fee- 20% or $2.00 For YOU going to them for a meal.

3.Building Facility Charge- 5% or $0.50 Just for walking in the building

4. Order Processing Charge – about 8.7% or $0.87 To punch a few keys and hand you a receipt.

5. Shipping fees (min)- 58% or $5.80 To bring your food to you

6. Parking Fees- 10% or $1.00 (not including if you have to park at a meter or in a lot, that is separate). Good thing they let you use their lot.

Total Charges aside from meal: $10.17, Meal $10= Total $20.17

Why are we all not outraged about this business model? I wouldn’t mind paying a fee if it was capped at 5%to 10% of the ticket. Not at 35% to 100% of the ticket.

What a joke.

-MetalRose

While the logic I agree with- it's all a big catch 22.

If you don't want to pay the fees how else are you going to get into a show? 1. Guest list or 2. Get tix at the door. But not a lot of people have that luxury of being on the guest list and for shows that people want to see, not a lot of people are going to wait to get tickets at the door... Espeically if there is a limited amount of "at the door" tickets.

Plus, there's often the travel factor. If I'm going to travel to a show, I damn well want to make sure I have a ticket. I always buy at the door when I can (even if I have to make an extra trip to ensure I get a ticket). There are times where I have to use TM, and it galls me each and every time.

I'm always thankful to Glenn and Shane for using Ticket Alternative.

Steve in Philly

but I think I must have read it in the issue of Rolling Stone magazine -- the one with Bruce Springsteen on the cover.
In a strange connection of events/articles/posts/thoughts, I recently read this message posted about TicketBastard on Springsteen's blog.

We know there was much confusion regarding Ticketmaster and TicketsNow during last Monday's on-sale dates. We were as confused as you were, as we were given no advance notice of the major changes in the Ticketmaster-TicketsNow world. (Bear in mind that we are not clients of any ticketing company, and that all those arrangements are between venues and ticketing companies.)

Last Monday, we were informed that Ticketmaster was redirecting your log-in requests for tickets at face value, to their secondary site TicketsNow, which specializes in up-selling tickets at above face value. They did this even when other seats remained available at face value. We condemn this practice.

The rest of the post is here:
http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=243494569&blogID=468606552

Also found this about the legal investigation on this scam by TB:
http://www.musicnewsnet.com/2009/02...ated-over-possible-springsteen-tix-fraud.html

Some of you may laugh at me for saying this, but for a long time Springsteen has fought to keep the prices for his concert tickets lower or at the very least affordable. I realize a lot of you will not think $75 for a nosebleed or $125 for floor seats is a good deal, but when you look at the show caliber/selling point of performers he's in the same league with - Billy Joel, The Eagles, Neil Young, and relatively speaking, Metallica. **Awaits flogging for such a blasphemous comment.** :Smug: Springsteen has also spoken against scalping, so I was glad that when this practice came to his and the band's attention that they and their management made a point to publicly say "We don't agree with this and we're trying to work to change it."

This sort of strays away from the immediate topic at hand, but I've just been hearing a lot more negative about TB than normal recently. I'm glad that at least some artists (who have a little more weight in the industry) are making it a point to note and work against the unhealthy business practices of their partner companies.

Oh and for what it's worth, if you want to do some complaining ...
While many of you have sent notes to us and your local promoters, you may also send accurate informational letters to Albert Lopez of Ticketmaster [Albert.Lopez@ticketmaster.com] and he will try to address your questions.

so Mr. Azoff gets about 35 milliion $$ in ticketmaster stock as he sells about 4.5 % of his Frontline management stake. see article here http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2008/10/ticketmaster-az.html

"Since 2000 the most vibrant part of the business has been live events, and they are not suffering from lack of attendance. There has been a tremendous resilience on the part of the consumer to accept increased attendance fees," says attorney Aydin Caginalp, a partner at Manatt, Phelps & Phillips. "This is a natural evolution and expansion of these businesses."

"... a tremendous resilience on the part of the consumer to accept increased attendance fees." Fuck this guy!

I believe Will said it best. "Kill all the lawyers." Only a lawyer could have made a comment like that.

People will pay it so it's ok to gouge them on the price of a good or service. Natural evolution my ass! Is it natural evolution to steal from other people? To be so lazy and deranged that you think you have the right to charge people exorbitant amounts of money (as Metal has calculated for us) for doing very little or nothing. There's a difference between inflation and extortion.

I don't care for gouging either and lean toward minimalist ideals favoring reduction of certain material "things".

However, I still likes me actual CDs and concert tix. E-tix don't count imo, and fwiw.

Old-fashioned that way I guess.

I certainly hated to post and run but shiza happens. What gets me about this move is that Live Nation is looking to get bands in as a total package, if I have the understanding correct.. Live Nation will sign an act, promote it, arrange tour dates,sell tickets, run fanclubs, sell merchandise and more.

Somehow this is supposed to make us fans feel more comfortable about the money we spend and Live Nation is looking to be the go between for fans and bands. All is see is prices getting higher, merch getting cheaper in quality and higher in price, fan clubs being paid entry,,, money money money.

More ticketmaster news:

Reuters is reporting:

Ticketmaster Entertainment Inc was hit with a C$500 million ($410 million) lawsuit in Canada on Monday, alleging the company broke the law by reselling tickets at inflated prices.

A Toronto man who tried to buy two tickets to a November 2008 concert by the band SMASHING PUMPKINS alleges Ticketmaster's website said none were available, but redirected him to the website of the company's TicketsNow resale unit.

The tickets had a face value of C$66.50 each, but Henry Krajewski said he ended up paying a total of C$533.65 for the pair because he had to buy them through TicketsNow, according to the lawsuit filed in Ontario Superior Court.

The suit, which seeks to be declared a class action, alleges Ticketmaster violated an Ontario law against ticket scalping. Ontario is one of three Canadian provinces with laws against reselling tickets on the secondary market at more than their face value.

The C$500 million in damages is based on Ticketmaster's expected revenue during the time it will likely take the case to makes its way through the courts, according to one of Krajewski's lawyers.

The suit also says the court could order the company to pay damages equal to the amount of any overcharges. It also asks that the company be blocked from distributing tickets at higher prices than they were first issued at.

A Ticketmaster spokesman was not available for comment on Monday. Ticketmaster and rival Live Nation Inc are currently in merger talks that would create a music industry powerhouse with a combined market value of over $700 million, a source briefed on the talks told Reuters last week.

The suit mirrors complaints in the United States that people trying to buy tickets to singer BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN's current tour were redirected to Ticketmaster's TicketsNow site, where they were available at much higher prices.

o_O Damn. If they keep this up they really are going to have enough lawsuits on their hands to put them out of business. Does TicketBastard really do that much money that they don't have to worry about lawsuits like these piling up? I'm sure a couple hundred dollars is just a drop in the bucket, but eventually somebody bigger is going to get burned.

The thing I am more concerned with is not the actual scalping since that'll happen no matter what you do but that this is a Ticketbastard owned company. As far as we know, they're setting aside several hundred tickets to something like Bruce Springsteen since they know they can sell them at TicketsNow for 4x the original price and make that much more of a profit. When you have exclusive contracts with venues so promoter's have to go through TM, that's just downright crooked. The scalping is immoral but unfortunately legal in many states. It's the direct blocking of access for the general audience (their customers) the chance of getting these tickets just to serve themselves. Hopefully the probe that the NY & NJ politicians have requested bring what exactly is going on over there to light.
Also, the site flat out sucks. They've got Wicked listed as playing at my local civic center when it's actually in Jacksonville FL (same venue name). Boy was that a let down once I figured out it wasn't supposed to be Albany, NY.

The disturbing thing is not that TicketRapist is raping people in this manner (hence the name), but rather that people (idiots) are willing to pay these exorbitant prices.

b00B, are you trying to tell us that you've never used the TM service, or are you saying you don't use them anymore? If the latter, do use some other service, or do you go to each individual venue's box office?

How do you get your tickets, b00B?!

It truly is an unholy alliance. It happened.

Live Nation, Ticketmaster Merger Confirmed
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 at 20:16:44 EST

Ray Waddell from Billboard.biz is reporting:

The announcement the music industry has been waiting for has come: a definitive merger agreement between Live Nation and Ticketmaster to create Live Nation Entertainment.

The move combines Live Nation, the world's largest concert promotion firm, with Ticketmaster's industry dominating ticketing company, also bringing into the fold the numerous artist and venue relationships encompassed by both companies. The merger also scuttles one of the most well-known names in live entertainment in Ticketmaster.

The companies will be combined in a tax-free, all-stock merger of equals with a combined enterprise value of approximately $2.5 billion. Under the agreement, Ticketmaster shareholders will receive 1.384 shares of Live Nation common stock for each share of Ticketmaster they own, subject to certain adjustments defined within the agreement.

Live Nation and Ticketmaster shareholders will each own approximately 50% of the combined company. According to the announcement, the new company anticipates generating approximately $40 million of operating synergies through the combination of their ticketing, marketing, data centers and back-office functions. The merger agreement was approved by both companies' boards of directors.

b00B, are you trying to tell us that you've never used the TM service, or are you saying you don't use them anymore? If the latter, do use some other service, or do you go to each individual venue's box office?

How do you get your tickets, b00B?!

Locally, I exclusively use box office sales, or buy them from opening bands. But then, I rarely ever go to any events anymore.

It truly is an unholy alliance. It happened.

Live Nation, Ticketmaster Merger Confirmed
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 at 20:16:44 EST

Ray Waddell from Billboard.biz is reporting:

The announcement the music industry has been waiting for has come: a definitive merger agreement between Live Nation and Ticketmaster to create Live Nation Entertainment.

The move combines Live Nation, the world's largest concert promotion firm, with Ticketmaster's industry dominating ticketing company, also bringing into the fold the numerous artist and venue relationships encompassed by both companies. The merger also scuttles one of the most well-known names in live entertainment in Ticketmaster.

The companies will be combined in a tax-free, all-stock merger of equals with a combined enterprise value of approximately $2.5 billion. Under the agreement, Ticketmaster shareholders will receive 1.384 shares of Live Nation common stock for each share of Ticketmaster they own, subject to certain adjustments defined within the agreement.

Live Nation and Ticketmaster shareholders will each own approximately 50% of the combined company. According to the announcement, the new company anticipates generating approximately $40 million of operating synergies through the combination of their ticketing, marketing, data centers and back-office functions. The merger agreement was approved by both companies' boards of directors.

And Darkness spreads her long grim fingers over the lands..

It is indeed an unholy alliance.

Locally, I exclusively use box office sales, or buy them from opening bands. But then, I rarely ever go to any events anymore.

Good grief, I had to recheck the thread posts in case I missed that somewhere. You didn't cover that earlier so, phew!

Thanks for the reply.