Moving to Raleigh, NC

dragonbone

New Metal Member
Nov 19, 2002
Visit site
Ok everyone, I'm moving to Raleigh in a week or so, and I need to know the scoop. Cool music shops, the best venues, things to do, all that stuff. Not just necessarily the metal stuff (but that too), just anything cool to do, see or get into.

Anyone from Raleigh, or know the area, that can help me out?

if you're there in time, I believe it's Raleigh that is hosting a cool metal show on Friday Aug 18th featuring Icarus Witch, Twisted Tower Dire, along with locals Viper and Widow.

I don't have the info in front of me, but a quick search of the Icarus Witch site should provide details. :cool:

...umm...we don't have much of a metal scene here in raleigh...i am sure my long haired hippie freak fiance (king lek) will post here with his brand of 'music wisdom' ;) he knows alot of what's going on here.........

boob...if everyone is moving here........where are you sweetie? ;)

yay tess and family are here :) .........(except for that annabelle)...gotta get that girlie here!

Not a whole lot of metal venues here in the Raleigh Area that I'm aware of.

You have Volume 11 Tavern - http://myspace.com/volume11tavern

Lincoln Theatre - http://www.lincolntheatre.com

Jester's Pub is in Fayetteville and they usually get some good acts there.

In Winston-Salem, Queensryche will be there in September at Ziggy's.

Myrtle Beach has House of Blues. Charlotte's got a few clubs downtown and in Mosquito's neck of the woods (Cola, SC) there's "Headliners",...and that's about it.

Cat's Cradle in Carrboro occasionally gets some blues artists if you don't mind that sort of thing.

Just be prepared to do some travelling sometimes, like,...for PP VIII :)

Da Pup

Hmm...if i am so musically wise....why do i not know about an Icarus Witch show in Raleigh.....lol......then again, after a quick look, the 18th is a Saturday.....and have not been able to hunt this show down (in the last 5 minutes I have looked)....even checked some of the smaller venues....I will look more later when I have time.

Dragonbone....PM me your e-mail addy and I will send you some info on clubs and such over the weekend.

Just found it...Berkeley Cafe, downtown......I forget about this place.....last time i was there they had a local wrestling event.....VERY LOCAL...it is Sat the 18th.

Thanks for the heads up Rider.

Not a whole lot of metal venues here in the Raleigh Area that I'm aware of.

You have Volume 11 Tavern - http://myspace.com/volume11tavern

Lincoln Theatre - http://www.lincolntheatre.com

Jester's Pub is in Fayetteville and they usually get some good acts there.

In Winston-Salem, Queensryche will be there in September at Ziggy's.

Myrtle Beach has House of Blues. Charlotte's got a few clubs downtown and in Mosquito's neck of the woods (Cola, SC) there's "Headliners",...and that's about it.

Cat's Cradle in Carrboro occasionally gets some blues artists if you don't mind that sort of thing.

Just be prepared to do some travelling sometimes, like,...for PP VIII :)

Da Pup

Don't even look to Headliners to ever have metal shows. Though surprisingly, somehow, we did get Lacuna Coil, Within Temptation, etc. Still not sure how that happened, it was nice to have a show in our town though, felt really weird to not have to drive for awhile after the show was done.

Anyways, if you're in Raleigh, you're about 3-4 hours from Jaxx if I remember correctly and they get everything that comes through here usually.

True, Jaxx is in the DC area, forgot about that. Don't usually head in that direction for shows but you're right, the option is there.

There's probably options for Richmond too, but I'm not really sure what they are.

I was there at the LC & WT show and had a great time. Missed LC (saw 'em at the Lincoln previously) but WT put on a good show.

Da Pup.

YAY - Raleigh! I just recently moved so this thread is helpful for me too. I've kind of been dependent on the Lekster and his trouble making g/f to keep me up on the shows......there is not a whole lot going on here but every now and then it seems like something comes through.

My wife was born and grew up in Raleigh. Recently went there to visit her parents. Lovely town.

Sorry, Mosquito, had to do this,...

You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish!" - REO reference.

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week,...ba dum, dum.

Da Pup.

Btw, Try the waitress and tip the veal.

One other thing I forgot to mention to the newbie's:

You drive around a LOT in the Triangle (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill) and nothing fun to do ever really seems close.

With that said,...it IS a nice place to live (Not today at 104 degrees and heat index of 111) but usually it's nice.

Also, there is a prog festival (heavy on the Prog, light on the power) called Progday that happens in Chapel Hill over Labor Day weekend.

A band called "3" was just added and heard they've been opening for Porcupine Tree so that might be the heaviest act they have,...dunno for sure.

Da Pup.

Look at the prog days past and you'll notice in 2001 that the Flower Kings and Pain of Salvation are listed as having played. Noticed this some time back but really did not know of this festival but for the past few years.