Mp3 + lyrics up

@Siren: Yes indeed, I would also dislike yet another Haven album(Not 'cause Haven is bad..just something fresh), but just an intro that sounds like something from Haven?? What can I do to make you like it?:)

of course. thinking all the time about filling her mouth with yer bubu. sure thing.

hyena

Originally posted by Siren
I don't dislike Haven, but i would hate another Haven album :/

The electronics are more tastefully used now. IT has probably as much or a bit less electronic elements but you notice them less cause they fit so much better ( yes they were greatly implemented in haven too but its even better here ). I also love the piano sound using in key moments its so majestic :D

Rahvin, I pretty much agree with you, but here...

Originally posted by rahvin
the solos manage to accomplish the difficult task of sounding at the same time very metal (aggressive, harsh, proficient in the non-dream-theater sense of the word [uh, sorry fathervic :p]) and absolutely consistent with the element of freshness the song introduces.

...we have a serious disagreement. The first solo that starts at approximately 2:27 does sound metal and consisten, but the following "from-right-ear-to-the-left-and-repeat" -thing (by keyboards?) at 2:33-38 is horribly banal, IMHO :yuk:. Not that it ruins the whole song or anything, but I would rather do without. The following solos are decent, but not particularly exciting, IMHO.

Other thoughts?

-Villain

I disagree Dr. Is very similar to Mr. Sundin's solo's on the mind's Eye Era, So ok you are used to Sundin doing tastefull solos that are basically beautifull melodies, and he is among the best lead guitar players there are when it comes to being tastefull, But Sundin shreds. I suspect you probably hate every single live solo of Hedon then, i just think that is good to know Sundin is capable of using all the techniques he is capable of and doesnt limits himself to the " come up with an award winning melody that its in perfect harmony with the riff" formula anymore and tries different things like the use of some effects and a good convination of both tapping, legattos and sliding.

@phyre: no, i expect him to say "what comes as no surprise" :err: :p

@Silentjohan: Thanks for your efforts, i'm already starting to like it more :)

@rahvin: what the.... :confused: actually i am, esp today :confused: :err:

@Misanthrope: I like his voice a lot in this song. I just hope the rest of the songs are better...

Edit: Just saw some more threads :)

Originally posted by Misanthrope
I disagree Dr. Is very similar to Mr. Sundin's solo's on the mind's Eye Era, So ok you are used to Sundin doing tastefull solos that are basically beautifull melodies, and he is among the best lead guitar players there are when it comes to being tastefull, But Sundin shreds. I suspect you probably hate every single live solo of Hedon then, i just think that is good to know Sundin is capable of using all the techniques he is capable of and doesnt limits himself to the " come up with an award winning melody that its in perfect harmony with the riff" formula anymore and tries different things like the use of some effects and a good convination of both tapping, legattos and sliding.

Hmm... I'm not sure if you meant it, but in case you believe I dislike all "unconventional" solos, I must say you have mistaken. Although I prefer more those "award winning" :)))melodic solos you mentioned, I do enjoy some shredding and tapping and sliding once in a while. The issue with this song, however, is that IMHO (only?) this kind of soloing doesn't fit here that well - actually, I find it a bit lame that such a fresh song has an "eighties-like" solo in the middle. Which is of course just a matter of taste. Anyway, I hope at least some of the other leads and solos on DD differ in style.

And about the live-Hedon thing, I really hope that one week from now I can experience it myself... ;)

-Villain

80s? you must be tone deaf. Its not a van halen thing if you cared to put atention to it before being automatically turned off by it you would see that it has nothing 80s to it and fits the song just fine because it gives a very admospheric feeling.

ok, i think this is their best stuff up-to-date. the lead guitar sure kick ass! dose anyone know who did the lead?

- red_beef

@misanthrope: totally agree with what you said about electronics

@villain: the way i see it, it'd be hard to do without that solo, because it's basically filling the gap between the point where the whole song drifts apart from the main structure and the point where it gets back to it at full speed. i think it fits perfectly because it sounds like a sum of all the diversions that have come before, short and high-pitched like something i seem to recall they tried live on the sun fired blanks. perhaps it has a hard-rock (well, not exactly 80's) feeling to it, but in fact imo this helps the song being less dark and haunting, which in turn is an element of freshness in my mind... and well i guess niklas just played it because he felt like, though, despite all my ranting. ;)

rahvin.

I am a bit surprised how everybody loves this song. It`s far from "Haven"-quality, but, of course, that was expected since "Haven" is the best album of all time.

I think it is a good song, but one of the weakest from Damage Done. I really enjoyed it the first times I listened to it, but it didn`t improve the way I thought it would. It`s something annoyingly "laid-back" with it. And the intro reminds me of "Projector" which, in my ears, is not a good sign.

But the song to follow Monochromatic stains at Damage Done is a killer!

Haven was a bit baroque, but I loved it. An album like, say, Projector might be a bit more original under a musical POV, but maybe it's too difficult, at least for me, to interpret emotionally - cold, distant is what comes to my mind when I think about most Projector songs. Some of them really impress me, especially "Undo Control", but as much as I can connect with the lyrics and the sound intellectually it just doesn't strike a chord on the heartfelt department. I can understand that rahvin loves Projector better than Haven, since as far as I understand he's used to represent his emotions to himself in a conceptual way at least up to 50% of the whole representation process.

Me, I am a bit more clichè, and I don't elaborate a lot on an abstract level [oh Gods, it now comes to my mind the "Abstract Life" tune by Pyogenesis, the band with the most uncomprehensible lyrics in the whole cosmos] - I think this is what makes me closer to Haven. The kind of sounds and words in that album are, for what I can see, closer to a flesh-and-bone approach to feelings, emerging like matter and weight more than ethereal visions, like intuition more than theory. Of course "Skydancer" had the two aspects, bar the baroque, existentially heavy touch of keyboards in "Haven", and that's what leads it to utter perfection - "The Gallery" is another redblooded album, but a bit too cheesy to make my top 10, or maybe I am cheesier now than I was when it came out.

But enough with this nostalgia trip. As far as "Monochromatic Stains" is concerned, I find it a bit Havenesque too, following the above definition, but a bit more violent, TMI-style, as well. Is there a distincly new inflexion? Might or might not be, I don't know. I wanted to comment more but now I'm absorbed in Eminem's new CD [btw rahve I don't really like it, it's nice but doesn't click] therefore there's no real contact point. More in the future.

hyena (there will bu bubu bu bu)

:eek: :OMG: :eek:

the funness abounds :p

I'm loving hearing this again and again.......admittedly there are parts where i swear its from Haven or Projector, but the drums really help put a stop to that :).......ah......im gonna love this.....

~Kovenant (desperately trying not to get the rest of it from AG)

edit: (and failing :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: .... please forgive me)