mp3 players

Winmar

Pillock of society
Apr 16, 2001
Canberra
I think my iRiver is dead (can they be resurrected if they just don't turn on?), so I'm likely to need a new mp3 player. Can anyone recommend a good one?

I ran out of space on my 40gb iRiver (or was it 60gb?) and they didn't have a bigger one available (maybe they do now, I don't know) so I ended up doing what I always said I would never do and bought an iPod (80gb). I really like it. I hate iTunes so that's really the only downside to it - I loved just being able to rip straight from the CD to my iRiver because it was basically an additional drive.

No experience with any other brand.

don't buy an iPod unless you are happy with the virus that is iTunes.

there are actually plenty of good MP3 players out there that aren't iPods but they tend to be on the smaller scale.

iRivers come with expansion slots so you can slip an SD card in there to boast it a bit.

There is a brand I was told is awesome called Sangav or something which is 16 gig with an expansion port that can handle up to 16 gig SD cards.

just look at some review sites and ask in stores to see what they recommend and what is popular, as well as costs and such.
some sales coming up in the bigger stores, so a decent time to buy.

I had a 20gig Toshiba Gigabeat for ages, was great for the price I got it (epic sale), but I wouldn't recommend anyone else get one. Then that died and I recently bought a 120gig iPod classic. I'm still not a big fan of the spinning-slider-control-thingamabob, but the interface is great, decent battery life, and it just made sense to buy one considering I use iTunes anyway.

iPods look nice and all, but I don't like being restricted to one format, so I'd rather go elsewhere. Creative do look good. I'll be in the market for a new phone later in the year though, so would I be better off just getting a phone with decent storage in it?

I think my iRiver is dead (can they be resurrected if they just don't turn on?)

I'm sorry for your loss. :(

I live in fear of that day. I don't know how I'll cope... I have yet to find anything better than my HP140, even from iRiver themselves. I need something with a 40gb + hard drive and they just don't seem to support that anymore. Idiots.

Anyway, if it's a battery issue there are lot's of online tutorials for changing the battery, try http://www.misticriver.net/ for tips etc. They might be able to guide you in the right direction if it's something else. Otherwise, Cowon and Creative players are probably the way to go.

Cowon iaudio's. I've had 2 (wrecked the first one trying to change the battery with my poor soldering skills). Great sound, work just like a flash drive (no itunes needed) nad are cheaper than equivalent ipods.