MP3 question

Wrathchild

Miserable Bastard
Apr 16, 2001
Enfield, South Australia
Visit site
Are there any magic programmes out there that can boost the volume and quality of a 48 kb/ps MP3 to make it sound like a 128er?

I know how to convert files to *wav format and re-encode them at a higher bit rate, but in this case it makes very little difference. I'm after a small and easy to use piece of software that can perform minor audio miracles. Post your links here, and be the recipient of my eternal... erm... gratitude? :).

W

Generally not, depending on the problem you have. If the problem is just that the MP3 sounds crappy, then you're out of luck. Obviously 48 has less bits in it than 128, and you can't put more bits in. Well you can, but you don't know what the bits should be, so it will probably sound worse.

Think about it like trying to put a grotty old tape that's been laying around in the sun that you recorded of a warped, scrathed vinyl album onto CD. Just because it's on CD doesn't mean it going to sound like a CD.

The other alternative is to find another version of the song. What song is it, Wrath?

You could try loading it into something like Cool Edit and changing the format to 44.1/16k .wav file, then looking around for a sonic maximiser or harmonic enhancer plugin to artificially generate the missing frequencies...

It's not THAT effective but better than what you could do without it! :)

The song is a radio edit of Domino (by KISS) that comes from a very rare promo CD, so much as I'd like a better copy, they ain't easy to come by.

Tim, the radio station where I volunteer uses Cool Edit to pre-record some of their programmes. I'll ask 'em if I can "borrow" it... hehehe

Thanks for the tips guys :).

W