The best way to achieve a mp3 file.

Teocida

New Metal Member
Mar 15, 2011
Hi everybody,

I have to get mp3 files of our album to upload to many webs but I don't know what to use.

I use Cubase, and I have iTunes too. What do you think it would be the best way, exporting to mp3 from Cubase directly or exporting to wav and then to convert it to mp3 in iTunes?

Thank you!

Why you think iTunes is a shitty mp3 convertor? I did nulling tests few months ago between many mp3 encoders, and yes, there was a little difference with the same exact coding settings. After all I ended up bouncing all the files two times in Pro tools, to .mp3 and to .wav.

Morgan, I just want to hear your reasoning on the subject. :dopey:

I'm in Mac, so winLame isn't possible for me to use it. Do you think the best way is bouncing in Cubase to mp3?

Why you think iTunes is a shitty mp3 convertor? I did nulling tests few months ago between many mp3 encoders, and yes, there was a little difference with the same exact coding settings. After all I ended up bouncing all the files two times in Pro tools, to .mp3 and to .wav.

Morgan, I just want to hear your reasoning on the subject. :dopey:

Maybe it's changed, I haven't used it in years because the last time I did it didn't sound good. Tbh I can't remember my exact reasoning ;p

Audiograbber + Audiograbber MP3 Plugin, which is another word for LAME mp3 encoder. I don't think that there is anything better than this out there, and it's free.

I just use the one in Cubase when I export mixes, seems to work perfectly fine to me. *shrug*

Well. I've just talked to the guitarist of my band, and he told me Tunecore (company dedicated to sell your music) receive the music in .wav, and then they'll convert te songs to all formats for iTunes, Spotify, etc. I suppose they use the best encoder for this, perhaps LAME? :p

006 said:
I just use the one in Cubase when I export mixes, seems to work perfectly fine to me. *shrug*

In Cubase I only bounce the demo songs. I only professionally use this DAW for mixdown the wav files, but I never considered what was the best way for mp3 files.

I dunno about Cubase 6.. but on Cubase 4, my ears tell me that exporting it as mp3 makes the mix sound 'smaller as compared to .wav converted to mp3 in Itunes.

Look here, picture comparisons of a few codecs.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/225356/los...ison-huge-amount-of-pics-itunes-update-on-p-7

Whenever I rip from CD's, I use iTunes ACC converter at 320kb/s but without all the "fast and quick" bullshit setting or whatever. I think the ACC encoder is probably the best for top quality mp3s.

very interesting pictures there, was cool to see what effect different encoding schemes had on sound.

that said, it's a very artificial test, and these images don't exactly relate to what sounds best (although one would hope closer to the source image => better, it may not be the case)

and i'm not quite sure what you mean by that last bit, the AAC encoder encodes.. um.. AAC files, and not MP3s ;)

edit: and audiogeekzine - xact uses lame as it's mp3 encoder