MPA wants to forbid "lyric and tab sites"

Dante's Inferno said:
...And the lyrics aren't copyrighted.
Lol! Songwriters get credit and copyright too don't they? I'm not too sure how much of a song you'd have to not rip off to avoid getting your arse smacked in court...

Luckily the tab thing should not stand up, as someone already pointed out. They usually have disclaimers as being an individual interpretation of the artist's work.

Another point - a moral rather than legal one - is that if you want Metallica tab there is lots you can buy, but the music publishers (who are making the fuss) don't bother to publish tab for the majority of music past and present. How can you be robbing musicians (or publishers) if there is no legal alternative to purchase in the majority of cases? They might be losing revenue on transcriptions from Metallica books but you can't get The Smiths or The Pixies or indeed Opeth tablature for love or money and I absolutely would pay for good tab if it was available. So I have to use Powertab.

Man, if I ever became a successful musician, after I've earned enough to afford it, I'd finish my record contract, release all my own albums through MP3, and give them away on a donation basis and give the finger to the music industry. Then probably end up working for a living and releasing albums as a hobby. :lol:

This is just another case of greedy people trying to rape something that doesn't belong to them to get more money. I have freedom of speech, and I think that includes speaking anything I want, including lyrics. I don't know if freedom of speech covers typing but if it don't, I'll just start talking all the lyrics and save them in mp3 format for the internet. Crazy BS.

Artists don't make any money from lyrics / tabs, they make the money from album sales and such which is what they should be focusing on. And in all honesty I would have many more CDs if I didn't have to pay 15$ per CD.

:tickled: Thats amazing! Or record yourself reading out the tab, or film yourself playing it I suppose, but yeah. There would be fun ways around it!

Moonlapse said:
The rationale totally eludes me.

So I know how to play Blackwater Park because of MySongBook... oh Noes I r steeling profirst from oeprth!!??!?

For bands that aren't really well known, i.e. most metal bands - there are not tab books out there so guitar players have no choice but to look at tabs on the internet

If tabs weren't available I probably wouldn't be playing guitar, lessons cost a shitload of money and the internet is a great resource

MXtabs has already closed down

RamsesBringerOfWar said:
For bands that aren't really well known, i.e. most metal bands - there are not tab books out there so guitar players have no choice but to look at tabs on the internet

If tabs weren't available I probably wouldn't be playing guitar, lessons cost a shitload of money and the internet is a great resource

MXtabs has already closed down

Shit...I better stock up my tab collection before mysongbook collapses :loco:

MountainDweller said:
Man, if I ever became a successful musician, after I've earned enough to afford it, I'd finish my record contract, release all my own albums through MP3, and give them away on a donation basis and give the finger to the music industry. Then probably end up working for a living and releasing albums as a hobby. :lol:
That's my plan :lol:

Godhead's Lament said:
Shit...I better stock up my tab collection before mysongbook collapses :loco:
Mysongbook collapses on a regular basis, for me, at least. They need a new server that doesn't kick me off every few pages.

People who depend highly on tabs should consider printing or at least saving some tabs on the comp. Some of the places are actually going down, and maybe there will be a few small ones in the end, but it's not gonna be enough.

If there are other OFFICIAL sources for the tabs, then fine, but if the band hasn't released any official tab books or lyric books, then tabs for the songs that don't have officially and purchasable books shouldn't be forced down. It's that simple. Greedy cunts like Lars are being the way they are because they do release official tab/lyric books and sites like these are cutting into their overflowing pockets. Most bands (probably not Metallica) release their lyrics freely on their sites, anyway, so I think the lyrics part of it is stupid. I support bands I like 100% by buying their albums, merchandise, going to gigs, and spreading the word about them to other people, but I really want to kill the fucking music industry.

Ive also never heard of the bands complaining about tabs being a breach of copyrighted, i have heard anders from katatonia saying that every katatonia tab he has seen is wrong. he said he would do them but cant be bothered. Bands put the lyrics on their sites aswell. What a load of shit.

god forbid a guitar player figuring out a song out all by himself then hosting(and paying for) a web page to host the tab...so baaaadd maan. Women need to stay out of the music industry...especially the metal music world, those fucking irrational c- ccc-- c--c c- cc
cc
cc-
cc--
...idiots

HTeo nly people tht should care are those people that actually write the songsfor the pop bands with no tlaent, and Lars Ulrich, cos the sun shines from his ass.

www.powertabs.net

assholes should not be allowed to live. How the hell will I play music from my favorite band is those assholes make all tab sites close?
Fuck! try to write down by ear, just by listening to it, a song from Ghost Reveries, or The Sound of Perseverance, or some Arcturus...I mean, that's pretty complex stuff.

And then try to find a Solefald score book in some shop. You won't. It doesn't exist.

wtf

ps. Dreadful have I ever told you I love the Chuck quotation in your sig?