Mrs. T's Chicago Triathlon

The Nomad

Where am I?
Jan 17, 2002
QingDao, China (temporarily)
nomadwolf.dhs.org
well, it's tomorrow. I think I'm ready, but I get quite nervous when I think about it. I don't even know WHY I'm nervous. I have no expectations upon me, except it'd be nice to finish.

Since there are 10.000 people in the race, they're doing it in waves spaced by 4 minutes. But they put the teams at the end. So my friend (that's doing the whole triathlon himself) starts at 0744, while my team starts between 0900 and 0930. oh well.

The only annoying thing is that the transition area where I put my bike closes at 0615. After that I can't take my bike in there, nor can I mess with it (pump up the tires, etc).

At least it'll be a cool day.... high of 75F/24C (though I've also heard 80F/27C).

time to clean my bike up...

Oh, I'll have fun. I'm not too worried about that... I'm not worried about much, but I want to do my best. So there's a little stress about that, but not much. Actually, I'm most worried about my back. I'm going to try something to see if it helps, but I won't know until tomorrow if it will...

I did FANTASTIC! Not only did I achieve my goals, but I pretty much crushed them! The results haven't been posted, but I expcted to race at around 17.5-18.0 mph, but I was hoping for 18.5-19.0. My actual: 19.9 mph. It's still kind of approximate, because it includes the transition time. And that consists of me running 200-300 meters from where the swimmer tagged me to where I was allowed to get on my bike. And I had to reverse that run on the way back, and I was dead tired at that time, so I walked most of the way. If you take that off, I was likely near 20.3 mph. I did kinda die during the last 5 miles, but that was also influenced by the fact that I REALLY had to pee.

I've never gone that fast for over 10 miles, and I'd never been able to finish even 15 miles without having to stop to take a break... (this is on my race bike... I can go farther on my mountain bike).

So I'm feeling fantastic. My back and neck and legs are a bit sore, but it'll pass... I'm not even exhausted, but I don't want to move much... kinda wierd.

WOO-HA!