Multi-micing and headphones

mr.L.

Jul 25, 2006
Netherlands
Which headphones do people generally use to set up tones and check phase when multi-micing guitars? Would something like beyerdynamic DT-100s be sufficient for this or would one need something with more isolation?

Yeah DT-100's would be fine for it.
The way I do it is have the amp way down in volume, position the mics with the headphones cranked, then turn it up and record.

If I remember right Jens Bogren just uses those Vic Firth drummer isolation phones. I've got a set of T bone iso phones but I wouldn't trust them for tone

My DT 770s don't isolate even close to well enough to do mic placement without CRANKING the volume in the headphones. My Vic Firth iso phones work way better for that purpose and you still need to give 'em a lot of juice to make sure you aren't hearing the actual cab in the room as well.

Yeah DT-100's would be fine for it.
The way I do it is have the amp way down in volume, position the mics with the headphones cranked, then turn it up and record.

Hey thanks for the tip I never thought of turning down to match everything up :loco:. Wouldn't this however give you a somewhat screwed up sense of the sound since it's gonna change quite a bit when you crank the amp?

If I remember right Jens Bogren just uses those Vic Firth drummer isolation phones. I've got a set of T bone iso phones but I wouldn't trust them for tone

I've heard those Vic Firth isolation phones to sound like absolute crap. Since I don't think I've got the skills of Jens Bogren :erk: I think I would better trust myself with something that gives a better representation of the actual sound.

Another solution I was thinking of was using one of those extreme isolation hearing protection headsets with some good in ear monitoring underneath. Using something like the ultimate ears in ear monitoring this would should give me 25 db of isolation on top of 20 db of isolation and it would still be less than 100 euros in total and probably still sound pretty ok. Anyone tried anything like this?