Remote Adjustable Microphone Stand

I was imagining a square frame with one horizontal, mechanized rod attached to the vertical sides and one vertical, mechanized rod attached to the horizontal sides. Where the rods cross they would pass through a + shaped housing to which the microphone would be mounted. H-Rod moves left, mic moves left. V-Rod moves up, mic moves up. Both rods move, mic moves diagonally. The + housing would still need some sort of geared mechanism for selecting the mic's angle-to-speaker, but at least it would only have to move on one axis.

i also have an idea how you could make it in full 3d movement without much hassle
so i will make a sketch in the next days and post it here

cheers
exoslime

Something tells me that moving a ~1lb mic is a LOT easier than moving a 80-120lb cab :p

Yeah, by yourself, but mechanically, wouldnt matter. To me the mic stand would be fiddly (although probably more cost effective), easily bumped, and not that robust, where as you could put the cab in a holder, safe as houses, not easily bumped and not really a fiddly project, and move it around from there, the motion would be similar to cleaning a window with your hand and a rag, a sought of swirling motion, where the cab would remain 90 degrees to the mic. :)

Yeah, by yourself, but mechanically, wouldnt matter. To me the mic stand would be fiddly (although probably more cost effective), easily bumped, and not that robust, where as you could put the cab in a holder, safe as houses, not easily bumped and not really a fiddly project, and move it around from there, the motion would be similar to cleaning a window with your hand and a rag, a sought of swirling motion, where the cab would remain 90 degrees to the mic. :)

Are you serious dude? A 100lb difference isn't going to matter?

I'm gunna be moving the mic, not the cab haha. You may have a valid point with it being knocked, but I think it would be over engineering the problem.

I did some rough designs but in escence they were a base, with a moving slide horizontaly, and on that was the vertical adjustmant arm (or pillar if you want), all powered by screw mechanism, because of the inherant high rotation to movement ratio (low gearing). I'm unsure of how I am going to change the mic angle, but I think it might be better to do that manually given the time I have to manufacture it. I'd rather have a well working mechanism I can build on than rush through and have something that only half works.

I've got to do a load of shitty paperwork first but I'll be in full swing with the designing and developing in a few days. I'll keep you guys posted with designs and ideas I have.

Joe

Are you serious dude? A 100lb difference isn't going to matter?

Thats right, mechanically bugger all. We use machines with the same principal at work and they can move 10 -20 tonne easily. I understand where ya coming from, its just that i think both ways, (moving the mic or the cab) could be easily achieved with mechanics. :)

here you go:
Sketch.jpg

so basically its just rectangle frame
on the x and y axes you have something like rails, where you have each a motorized sledge on it to move these in 2 directions
and you also have the z rod also motorized to change the height, with maybe a kind of geared-wheel rod..

and on bottom of that, you have a rotation element, that you can rotate like 180° in each direction, and there you have the standard measured screw (3/8) for all the microphone mounts so that you can mount each mic you want

i hope you understand what i try to say :) i´m very excited and that doesnt help my translation to english
cheers
chris

Yeah, its definitly not my idea, Its just a cool project to get an A level out of :) And if it works I'll have beaten whoever it was to it ;)

I made a rough design with a retarded colour scheme to help me explain it. The principal is similar to Exoslimes idea, but I took out the back and forward plane of motion now to make it simple and cheaper.

rough%20design.jpg

The red boxes represent the motors to control it. The green boxes represet the sliders. The two larger lighter grey tubes are the tracks, and the darker, smaller tubes are the screws that move the sliders. The green one on the vertical tube would have the mount for the microphone.

Give me some feedback ideas etc :)

Joe

Yeah, its definitly not my idea, Its just a cool project to get an A level out of :) And if it works I'll have beaten whoever it was to it ;)

I made a rough design with a retarded colour scheme to help me explain it. The principal is similar to Exoslimes idea, but I took out the back and forward plane of motion now to make it simple and cheaper.

rough%20design.jpg

The red boxes represent the motors to control it. The green boxes represet the sliders. The two larger lighter grey tubes are the tracks, and the darker, smaller tubes are the screws that move the sliders. The green one on the vertical tube would have the mount for the microphone.

Give me some feedback ideas etc :)

Joe

your one looks great:headbang::headbang:
its much more compact than my sketch

instead of a big forward plane you could make a small one on the green plattform (mic placement) just for a few cm of forwards and backwards for fine tuning the mic..

And then on the uppermost slider you could have a mic grip on a peg, peg goes in hole in slider, exposed upper portion of peg is threaded like a gear, teeth on peg interlock with teeth on a horizontally mounted gear with a two-way motor...
Gears_animation.gif
..instant side-to-side mic angle adjustment! :lol:

Tie a mic stand to an RC car :D

Seriously though, for me the main thing is to be able to move the mic horizontally once I've manually set it to point straight at the dustcap. It will be nice if can move it closer to or away from the cab.