Multiple converters/interfaces

Studdy

Jan 24, 2012
Obviously it happens different all the time and there are no rules, but I was thinking about this today. How often are people using multiple converters/interfaces on projects. This is just for an example "if you were tracking drums on a certain interface/converter would you want to try to use those same converters for other tracks. Or would you have no problem tracking the guitars or other instruments on different interface/converter? Are a lot of people using different converters on different parts of the mix for a reason? I have always had the mentality to use the best converters I could afford, but never really thought about using/comparing converters on different parts of a mix for separation or other reasons. Basically I'm asking if people think about converters the same way you think about preamps for example? Hope this makes some sense.

Fuck that, converters matter so little that no one's going to hear the difference between you tracking guitars on one and drums on the other etc. Use whatever is most convenient for each session and don't worry yourself about it.

Fuck that, converters matter so little that no one's going to hear the difference between you tracking guitars on one and drums on the other etc. Use whatever is most convenient for each session and don't worry yourself about it.

+1. I wouldn't worry so much about AD conversion, but instead I discovered DA is WAY more noticeable than I thought!

I use a MOTU 828mk3, a Focusrite OctoPremkii and a Behringer ADA8000. Mostly because of budget and upgrades over time. Plus I usually just bypass the pres too.

There is a concern with different converter latency though:

http://www.renoise.com/blog/adc-processing-delay-compensation-for-audio-recording

I have tested mine with a quick loop back sine wave or a pulse. They vary by 10's of samples typically.

I usually don't care that much but I always debate if I should. I do however make sure to use the same converter for things where phase matters like overheads, multi mic setups, and things like that.

Cubase and most DAW's have a record latency adjustment. For a single converter with all the same time it is easy. For multiple converters, that can get sorta tricky, which is why I don't bother... too lazy.

So if you care... and maybe we all should care... then having a single set may make more sense.

EDIT: Oh and sonically... I don't hear enough of a difference to care that much. I feel I hear some differences, but I have never done a proper double blind test or anything. So it could all be bullshit.

I get what you're saying but I generally agree with the sentiment of "the best you have" and leave it at that. Now that said, you can get into some interesting stuff with Prism and Apogee stuff b/c of the built in limiters. The prism in particular has a unique sound when driven.