Any quality gain from using a better DAC/ADC during mixdown?

nwright

Apr 19, 2005
New Castle, Indiana
www.myspace.com
I'm looking to buy a 2nd interface for my home setup, one to keep mobile and 1 for home projects. I currently have a Firepod, but I'm looking to possibly get a different interface (better) if I can. I don't really have a need for more simultaneous inputs, so here's my question:

If I recorded a band using the Firepod, would there be any gain in using a nicer interface to mix and master?

At what point is the converters MOST important, tracking or mixing? My gut tells me tracking, but I can possibly score an interface used that is spec'd better than the Firepod for less than what Firepod's are going for used, saving around 50-100 bucks. It's worth it to me if I'll see the benefit of better conversion at the mixing stage. For tracking, it would mainly be used for guitar, bass and vocals as there are only 4 XLR's vs. 8 on the Firepod.

whenever a conversion takes place...
tracking definitely!
but if you're using outb oard gear during mixdown you have even 2 conversions (da-ad) if you're mixing entirely ITB a better Interface would only clean up what you're hearing through your monitor but wouldn't change the final result.

I'd recomment to only use outboard-gear if you've got high-quality conversion

The only time I go outboard is during mastering to my Finalizer. Mixing is all ITB.

But, if I'm tracking vocals and guitar and bass with the better interface, that'd still be better I think. The only instrument I know wouldn't get the better interface is drums...

The only time I go outboard is during mastering to my Finalizer. Mixing is all ITB.

But, if I'm tracking vocals and guitar and bass with the better interface, that'd still be better I think. The only instrument I know wouldn't get the better interface is drums...

yeah, but i guess you're using the digital connection (spdif), so you could still consider that ITB and no conversion is needed.....in that case it's only tracking (and perhaps reamping), so primarily the ad-side that's important

It woud benefit for monitoring at mixing. Poor or bad converters may degrade your monitoring image, since things wont have enough deep or definition like thy should have. However, this won't affect whats already recorded, like i said, its only for monitoring while mixing