Multiple guitar micing

blackcom

Oct 5, 2003
I've been experimenting with using two different mics (tried both dynamic and condensors in all possible combinations)...

It's seems to me that the sound will get more "cloudy" and less defined when doing this, even when phase aligning both mics...

What are your views on this topic, and could the this be the reason for so many people using only one single mic when doing guitars?

I also tried a highpass on one mic and lowpass on another mic at the same freq giving me top from one mic and bottom from another different one...ever tried that? I also think the "blending" thing is a cool thing for getting an original sound....

I remember you said Colin used a 57/421 combo on demanufacture...do you think the just did the blend-thing or perpaps just micing from different angles of the element?

Btw, I just tried the Blue Ball (looks ridicolous, but has very unice sound) and found it to blend VERY good with a 57 on an API 3124+ ...diden't make it more cloudy at all, just fatter...you should really try it, even if it sounds crazy... It has a very cruncy mid that makes it easier to push that mid up without making it sound phony......hell, I'll even post some clips if you'd like it...

I usually mic a cabinet with several mics, but usually each one to its own speaker on the cabinet(of course, I sometimes then have to deal with small phase problems or something like that, but it's easy enough to do and IMO worth the time. As a sidenote, I just ordered the Blue Ball. I'm guessing you like it on guitars, but how is it for other applications?

Exsanguis said:
I usually mic a cabinet with several mics, but usually each one to its own speaker on the cabinet(of course, I sometimes then have to deal with small phase problems or something like that, but it's easy enough to do and IMO worth the time. As a sidenote, I just ordered the Blue Ball. I'm guessing you like it on guitars, but how is it for other applications?

The Ball sound very unatural, so it's more of an "effect"...perhaps top or bottom mic on the right snare...I heard some guy flying to the roof when using a pair on overheads.... Make it blend a little with a 57, and you won't sound like the guy next door...

Most likely, none of the elements in a 4x12 cab will sound exactly the same.

When using two different mics for adding a thickness, do you guyes find the sound to be less "coudy" when micing two different elements or just one element with two mics?