multiple tunings, single album

egan.

daylightdies.com
Dec 28, 2002
NorCal
www.daylightdies.com
Hey guys. I'm curious to hear what you guys think about multiple tunings a single album. Obviously it happens in hard rock all of the time but I'm curious as to how you feel about it on metal albums. I'm thinking mostly about the consistency of tones and such from song to song. Is it an issue? Any examples where it failed? Succeeded?

I have songs in drop B, drop C and standard D and it doesnt bother moi. You probably know all this already egan, but fuck it i'm bored today so I'll say it anyway: Opeth and Katatonia both have loads of songs in different tunings. I'd call that a success. Where it failed? Not alot off the top of my head, but maybe St. Anger (or did they only use drop C on that)? I dont really think it needed the tuning aspect to fail, it was already pretty bad. I think that overall if it still retains the overall sound of other songs in other tunings, it'll be fine.

I think if you pay attention to details a bit you won't have a problem - I didn't realize the latest TDWP has songs in both drop D and drop B on it until I looked up tabs for it.

The biggest problem I'd imagine running into are with how each tuning would facilitate different writing. As long as it sounds consistent, you're solid.

Thinking about going lower on the new DD?

I wouldn't see a problem as long as you guitar tones are fairly consistant...

-P

caliban. several times in the same song, and it sounds consistent. ish.

Cool. Thanks guys for responding. I'd be really interested in big name releases that we know for sure use a tuning mix to either positive or negative results. It seems like there are lots of examples but I'd really am interested in specific examples you are positive mix it up (even better if you know what the tuning variations are).
Also if any of the guys doing full productions for others have had experience or issues with this in the past.

my bands last cd has three different tunings. Drop D, C, & B

if you wanna hear how it sounds just go to www.whenforeverfails.bandcamp.com
The Host is in drop D, Finding Found is in drop B. The rest are in drop C

I personally think the song in drop D sounds the best/tightest. Then again, it is closest to standard E which is what guitars are meant to be in

Doesn't Black Label Society do this as well? Sorry I have no actual details or specifics to include with that but I swear someone had told me that they tune each song to the key of the song or something like that?

The biggest problem I'd imagine running into are with how each tuning would facilitate different writing. As long as it sounds consistent, you're solid.

Agreed. I don't think there's anything wrong at all with having multiple tunings throughout a single album... If you still sound like the same songwriters/band, then I think it's actually a cool touch.

The last gorguts album "From Wisdom To Hate" had a track that was an obviously lower tuning (think they used 7's on that track whereas the rest of the album was 6 strings) and it's cool, it fits in well with the flow of the album.
Morbid Angel have a track on Formulas Fatal to the Flesh where they used 7's and it worked just fine.

Just do eet, can be a pain in the ass to do live though.
My old band was in different tunings for nearly every song, that shit was hell live.

I think different tunings, or at least songs in different keys are essential to keeping it interesting throughout an album. 10 song after each other in the same key gets boring really quick, but vary it up a little and it's a completely different listening experience.

I think different tunings, or at least songs in different keys are essential to keeping it interesting throughout an album. 10 song after each other in the same key gets boring really quick, but vary it up a little and it's a completely different listening experience.

I don't know that, I think that it's not the key to bring an album interesting.
An interesting album have awesome song, cool arrangiaments,great musician, ecc ecc....
If the song shine with another tunning, do it, but if an album is boring or a song is crappy, probably will be boring also with different tunnings.....that's my 2 cents....

Man, it really doesn't matter what tuning you use for the regular listener who can't hear the difference between regular and dropped anyway. He needs to enjoy the song and thats all. The tunings are important only to the artist and some 10-11 technical freaks like I've seen here on this forum. The song it's important and if a tuning serves it right then you have the right recipe. People don't listen to the songs anyway nowadays. It's all technical aspects. Get a fully triggered metal band play one of their songs on a plain acoustic guitar as in an unplpugged session. Fail. My two cents.

So Egan, use whatever you want just make good songs like we know you use to.

LE. I just seen Tachy shares the same feelings. Cheers.

Man, it really doesn't matter what tuning you use for the regular listener who can't hear the difference between regular and dropped anyway. He needs to enjoy the song and thats all. The tunings are important only to the artist and some 10-11 technical freaks like I've seen here on this forum. The song it's important and if a tuning serves it right then you have the right recipe. People don't listen to the songs anyway nowadays. It's all technical aspects. Get a fully triggered metal band play one of their songs on a plain acoustic guitar as in an unplpugged session. Fail. My two cents.

So Egan, use whatever you want just make good songs like we know you use to.

LE. I just seen Tachy shares the same feelings. Cheers.

o yes!

Doesn't this thread seems odd for you guys?? The average listener wont hear any difference, hell even i often cant hear any difference if an album jump 1tone up/down...
Just my 0.02...