multiple tunings, single album

My band's album uses 3 tunings - drop C, D standard and drop B. I switch between standard and drop tunings fairly often, simply because some things play better in one than the other.

Soundgarden changed tunings all the time. I think there's about 4 or 5 on Superunknown - standard, dropped, dropping the E 2 steps and the A 1 step, open G and I think they used all E too (though I think that was just for a natural harmonics section), and that album sound consistent.

Steve

Is consistensy to THIS level really a necessity? REALLY a necessity?
Part of what gives albums flow is things being sort of imperfect, constantly subject to change in tones and timbres and volumes and moods, tunings and keys are just another aspect of that.

I think tunings should be played around with. It may bring new life to a song. I know a song that nearly didn't make it on our album ended up staying put because the difference in feel and tone from drop B to A# actually made the song sound better. Everything went flat and it fit the songs riffs and chord structure much better. Experiment, isn't that what music is about? Doing it YOUR way for YOURSELF. Don't stress and just let the good times roll :)

Oh! In Flames do it heaps :p (Did rather)

The biggest examples of this IMO would be bands that alternate between 7- and 6-string axes on different songs, e.g. Dream Theater (I know "Scenes from a Memory" and "Six Degrees..." have this, stopped giving a shit about the band after that :Spin: ) and Evergrey on "Recreation Day." And of course, some albums will have songs where the guitars are tuned to standard intervals, and others where the low string is dropped a whole step - hopefully those are concrete enough examples to allow me to say that I don't think it's a big deal :D