[Music Business - Get in here!] What would think about a guy that...

13 bands is a shitload to actually "manage." If they are all local why not talk to them first. If he passes that test then look at a contract. Then negotiate his rate down. If all he is doing is booking I have never had a booking agent charge more than 10%. If he's doing other stuff I would still negotiate the booking agent rate independently of the management rate. Then have a lawyer look at that contract. Listen to the lawyer.
But yeah, this all smells terrible.

Just received word from one of the bands he used to work with. Looks like he had his name changed some time in the past.

I'm starting to find this funny. :lol:

...sends you a message on MySpace

...avoid like a hooker with herpes sores all over her mouth

this, combined with the fact that he's on the run with legal troubles, combined with the fact that you said he talks really fast, all reeks of total bullshit

legit management firms are rarely going to seek bands out...rather, bands seek management when they get to the point that they need it

Heard from another artist. Says he worked with this guy for a long time and trusts him 100%.

Are you sure these are legit artists and not just hired goons feeding you a line as well? Are they local bands? You have most of the people on this forum telling you to ignore this guy and to run the other direction, yet you keep asking for our opinions as to whether or not to do business with him. LOL. Please don't trust this freaking random. Go to someone local that is established and that has worked with other similar style artists and bands you've heard of.

Yeah, the bands are local. Some of them I've known for years. Some guys on his roaster might be "hired" but I think I can spot those.

Sorry if this thread bugs you ubersyntax but I haven't been asking for opinions in my latest posts anymore. Just posting updates on how the situation is developing to keep myself and you guys entertained. Still getting responses so I guess there are people out there who find this just as funny as I do. ;)

Before you sign anything get an EXPERIENCED MUSIC INDUSTRY LAWER to look at anything you sign. Notice the way I phrased that; Experienced, Music, Insustry and Lawyer....every part is as important as the last. Ive just finished up case studies for college on how The Who, and a couple of other irish artists got royally screwed over and it was all because they left out a part of that combination...

You said it yourself. If you have to avoid falling into his scams ("Some guys on his roaster might be "hired" but I think I can spot those.") already, then there's no telling what shit you'll get into later on. Do you even really need a manager?

Do you even really need a manager?

that's what i've been wondering...dude even said on the last page that his band gets paid a couple hundred bucks to do gigs every couple weeks, right?

to me, that definitely doesn't warrant the necessity for a manager. unless you get to the point where you're playing regularly(both locally and on tour), garnering label interest, selling bunches of merch, etc. - i wouldn't fuck with a manager. if your band ever gets to the point that there's more going on than the band itself can handle, then seek out a reputable manager. until then, tell this dude to fuck right off.

either that, or come up with an elaborate scam to flip his con back on him :heh:

• sends you a message on MySpace and says he wants to be your manager
  • he seems to have some legal troubles (Music Copyright thing) in his homecountry.
  • he asks 25% commission on everything. No fixed salary.
  • he doesn't have any big names on his roaster. Just some of our fellow local heroes. He currently has a total of 13 bands on his roaster.
  • he claims that in case we come to an aggrement a contract could be canceled at any time by both parties (him or the band).
  • he claims that he is working all day on management stuff for his bands and does about two hours of booking in the afternoon on top of that every day.
  • He told me about that without me even asking.
  • Looks like he had his name changed some time in the past.
  • Said artist has four (4) friends on MySpace. Guess who his first Top Friend is?

Considering the facts I quoted above, I think this guy seems pretty legit.

Ive just finished up case studies for college on how The Who, and a couple of other irish artists got royally screwed over and it was all because they left out a part of that combination...
Cool! What are you studying?
You said it yourself. If you have to avoid falling into his scams ("Some guys on his roaster might be "hired" but I think I can spot those.") already, then there's no telling what shit you'll get into later on.
Well, this was actually just a response to someone pointing out that some artists on his roaster might not be for real.

Guys, everyone relax! ;) At this point I don't have any intentions anymore to sign anything with this guy.
Also we weren't looking for a manager by any means. As I said in the first post this guy approached us so I was just trying to get some opinions on the whole thing.

Heard from two more bands btw. Both just started working with him so they couldn't really tell me stories about his work.

However I might actually try this:
[...] come up with an elaborate scam to flip his con back on him :heh:
:devil: