Music DVDs, the Live Performance, and Videos

Jim LotFP

The Keeper of Metal
Jun 7, 2001
Helsinki, Finland
www.lotfp.com
Really, what's the point?

Music videos suck. They always suck. At best, the have a cute girl shaking her tail, which isn't what the music listening experience is all about (unless you're Liv Kristine these days with all the pop music...). Maybe they're a little bit interesting and evoke some sort of atmosphere (took another look at Mother North last week)... but basically they suck.

Unless of course, they have a budget! Then they're slick and presentationous, getting all the kids to think the band is COOL and they're MAJOR LEAGUE because they have a GOOD LOOKING VIDEO.

Promo videos suck 100% of the time and all they'll be able to do is create another stratus of 'underground' vs 'non underground' band, where the importance is on marketing money and fuck all to musical talent (of which I still say Lacuna Coil has NONE). Worse than that, there will be people who don't want to buy CDs because there's no video on it. "All real bands put VIDEOs on their CDs! This is just music! This isn't worth my money!" Wait for it, folks.

A bit more 'honest' on the DVD front is the Live Performance DVD, where bands play exquisitely mixed (if you're lucky) live versions of songs you (presumably) own already. I can understand the appeal of some live albums (Blind Guardian's Live presents the songs either stripped down or beefed up, depending on what album the song was originally from, just on merits of recording techniques... then you have The Gathering and Pain of Salvation altering the entire method a song is performed...). But the fact that it is a DVD means you are expected to want a visual element to it. Are you there? Even with surround sound, are you experiencing a concert? No. So wtf? You enjoy someone making faces and running around a stage? Witty crowd banter? I enjoyed the Dio concert I went to three and a half years ago. Watching Dio on stage on my TV was... uh... yeah.

Someone, please, explain to me the appeal of music in visual terms. I'm so cut off from the idea of it that I bought, in a moment of wealth and little sense, the first Nightwish DVD, the Star One DVD, and I think another one... watched a little of the Star One DVD, then sold the lot of them WITHOUT EVEN WATCHING any of the other ones for a single second. I had, what, an hour of Tarja on stage, on video, IN MY HANDS, and I didn't think it was worth the time it would take to watch it. Cause I just don't get it.

Splain, pls.

Wow, the 1st Nightwish DVD & Tarja and foregoing watching... thats gotta be hard to do for most of us. Maybe a live DVD performance is the only way some fans have to see some of their favorite bands perform "live." Perhaps it is just to hear a band's songs potentially done differently live. Perhaps it is to donate extra money to the labels' cause....

EA in Houston