Music: Is it about the money?

D.Ingram

Mar 17, 2008
Sheffield, United Kingdom.
After some lengthy discussion on Facebook about the matter, I'm asking you to incite more discussion. Again.

I for one have never looked towards music to make a mass profit with. When Vindicator play shows, we never ask for a shitload of money, merely enough to cover our costs for petrol - sometimes we don't get it and if that's the case, fair enough. Sometimes we can make the money back from our merchandise, and most merchandise money goes back into more merchandise anyway (or on vermintide's bar tab, drunken rat-bastard that he is). Basically, any money that goes into the band circulates within the band - we don't sell ten shirts and go "Fuck yes, fifty quid! Let's buy a speedboat!", that fifty quid will go right back towards printing more shirts. We have day jobs for day-to-day needs (except me, poor unemployed cunt that I am), HOWEVER if we had the opportunity to realistically make enough money from our work to live off it then we happily would. But we don't bank on it. Our music is, for the most part, up for free too because we just don't think people would pay much attention to an unsigned band if they had to shell out a tenner for their music, unless they knew of them beforehand at least. And in my relatively short time within music, I've witnessed many bands, promoters, labels and the like asking for ridiculously extrotionate prices - one tale a friend regaled me with was that an unsigned band turned up to one show they were playing and demanded a thousand pounds. Venues and bands that charge more akin to 'let's go for a holiday in Denmark for a month once we've been paid' than what's needed for 'travel costs and a bit of profit', and this has naturally sullied my outlook on the whole thing.

The flipside however, is quite the opposite and entirely true in it's own way - bands are well within their right to want to make money from what they do, and if they can do so then their families will want them to make money to pay the bills etc. Being in a band is, essentially, a job and you do your job to make money - since 90% of serious bands are away from home 7 months out of the year or more, they can't hold professions or day jobs with ease so music is left as their fulltime profession. Mathematics, somewhat. Yet how realistic that is, well... it's questionable. Most new bands will make next to fuck all unless they're monumentally huge (see bands like Trivium for a generic example). This is where everything starts to blur a bit.

"It's the music business, not the music friendship"... what do you lot think?

Keep it civil, ladies.

The flipside however, is quite the opposite and entirely true in it's own way - bands are well within their right to want to make money from what they do, and if they can do so then their families will want them to make money to pay the bills etc. Being in a band is, essentially, a job and you do your job to make money - since 90% of serious bands are away from home 7 months out of the year or more, they can't hold professions or day jobs with ease so music is left as their fulltime profession. Mathematics, somewhat. Yet how realistic that is, well... it's questionable. Most new bands will make next to fuck all unless they're monumentally huge (see bands like Trivium for a generic example). This is where everything starts to blur a bit.

Agreed 100%

People think that an artist is greedy when he wants to make money from his songs. I heard someone say: '' why do artists need to make money with their work multiple times?! (this has to do with copyright), but when being in a band takes so much of your time that you can't have a normal job, then of course they want to make money with it.

a band shouldn't be made to make a shitload of money. but when you do make a lot of money from your music it's not ''wrong''. Everyone who agrees with the quote i mentioned should just read the part that I quoted.

I always viewed music as expressing yourself, music is something you enjoy doing. You get into music because you have something to say to people. Making money off of your music is a huge plus, but it should never, ever be the main motivation until it actually becomes your job. When you tour, when you record albums, sell merchandise, you have the right to make money off of it. It gets dangerous in my mind when it becomes blurry, and a band or musician starts leaning towards the money side of things than actually making the music you want to make. Al Jourgensen started off on a major label doing shit like this:

To telling them to fuck off and started doing this:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think most metal bands tour for the passion of the music and of course to make money. I go to a lot of metal shows and I actually feel bad for the bands where there is a low turnout because I know they aren't going to make a lot of money that night. Most of the metal bands I see ( Warbringer, Havok, etc.) you can tell the guys are just barely scraping by and they aren't living a glamorous lifestyle.

I nearly always try to support the bands I see live by buying a cd or t-shirt.

I always viewed music as expressing yourself, music is something you enjoy doing. You get into music because you have something to say to people. Making money off of your music is a huge plus, but it should never, ever be the main motivation until it actually becomes your job. When you tour, when you record albums, sell merchandise, you have the right to make money off of it. It gets dangerous in my mind when it becomes blurry, and a band or musician starts leaning towards the money side of things than actually making the music you want to make.

This.

I think that music really should come from the spirit and the heart and not from financial aspects, how do I get money with a band? I hope that I can make a big record deal otherwise I quit the music?? That's bullshit.
For me music is Art, a kind of expression like drawing and a relief from all the chains of society..
But I read that alot of band members are having regular jobs and even from such bands where they could live from the bands wage (!) and also some band members like someone of the Coroner guys don't want to quit his job to make another album and tour with the band.
It's a difficult topic, which also can be viewed different especially when you are younger (between 19-22) you just want the adventure, drinking hard, fun and give a fuck about everything else. Well maybe it's a cliche but I think it's different when you get older, believe me!
Iam also very dependant from my work and if I would quit it for being in a band I would get alot of stress and also had no income..
For me it's a difficult topic because you always have to view the two sides of the coin. But if I would meet the right people to make the music I like and I could feel it's a serious thing and not just only for fun I probably would also quit my fuckin work.

you know what i don't understand? That Matt, Ol, Joel and Ben can say to their bosses: '' yo, i'm off for a tour the next 6 months, see ya!'' and then they can get back to work after the tour. I can't imagine that a company wants these kind of people.

It might be a local thing, local people are much nicer than corporate people. And they are nice people so the boss' will put up with it.
Aaaand it might not be the same job.

But other than that I don't know, i've never toured ^^

These days if you're doing it for the money, pack your shit up and go home because you won't get anywhere with that mindset. Only bands that do it for the art of songwriting and music making will be the ones that last in this doomed age.

I do agree that doing it for the money won't get you anywhere, but unfortunately in some rare cases it does. Usually in pop music.

I don't have a problem with artists playing music for the money as long as they enjoy it and are playing music they want to play, because lets face it, many people would absolutely love to make a living from it. If they play music just to please a very large percentage of the population with no interest in that type of music just to get more fans and money, then I say, banish them!

Facebook. Apparently my discussion on there actually made him log on for the first time in ages as his girlfriend was posting and he saw her 'typing furiously' :lol: All was well, I love such debates.

Aye, he essentially said that anyone who thinks that they make any form of decent income is daft. I'll find his exact post and paste it here.