Music that reminds you of a particular time

Winmar

Pillock of society
Apr 16, 2001
Canberra
Listening to certain songs/albums gives me strong memories of certain situations. If I hear Strapping Young Lad's City album or I Should Coco by Supergrass it reminds me of sitting in a flat I shared with my dad in England in 1997 and listening to them through my PS1, while hearing certain INXS songs takes me back to sitting in a raft in Indonesia and being told that Michael Hutchence had just died, even though I didn't actually hear any INXS stuff at that time.

I'm sure everyone else has similar experiences. So, what are yours?

Metallica "Of Wolf And Man": sitting with a casette player and a guitar constantly pressing play, rewind, play, rewind etc trying to work it all out
Oasis "Wonderwall": shitty high school student-run disco things.
Iron Maiden "Powerslave":when I first got into them via the Ed Hunter compilation. That was my favourite song for ages.
Blind Guardian "Valhalla": Metalcamp 2009
Spazz "WWE Rematch at the Cow Palace" and "Snocone Ribplate": year 11 music
Psi.Kore "Faker Taker": a particularly eventful gig at Parramatta PCYC
Dream Theater "Under A Glass Moon": the Napster era. Thank deity-of-choice for the dawn of the digital music piracy boom or I'd probably still think Kirk Hammett was the pinnacle of guitar excellence.
Thor "Thunderhawk": Europe 2009. Particularly Hellfest

Napalm Death - Greed Killing. Having my eyes opened to how fucking awesome 'extreme' metal, and in particular Grind can be...and that wasn't even when they were necessarily in a 'grind' phase to wanker purists...
Iron Maiden - Rime (Live after Death LP Version) Hanging out with my cousin that helped me get into metal, I can still picture how awesome the LP cover was
Black Sabbath - Anything Ozzy era. Hanging out with my Dad and listening to metal, he still loves blasting it out :lol:

Ditto on the "hang on... that's on the EP" comments haha

For me, it would have to be Van Canto "A Storm to Come" and Epica "Consign to Oblivion" both remind me of being in Austria for work

Hearing anything by Cryogenic, Psi.Kore, Segression reminds of being 18-19 and being shocked to realise that Australia had metal bands

Soilwork - NBC, FNF and STD all remind me of touring through Europe on my own back in 2005.
In Flames - Clayman, takes me back to Yr 12.

Just to name a couple.

That Fall Out Boy song (This Ain't A Scene, It's a Dead Assed Arse Face or whatever it's called) reminds me of India, because for some reason I kept seeing the clip on tv over there.

'Everybody Wants to Rule the World' by Tears For Fears and 'Always the Sun' by The Stranglers remind me of being a kid, because they were on the radio a lot in the mid 80s.

It's great for nostalgia, this music thing.

Load remind me of sitting by the family hi fi system in the lounge room as a teenager, just repeat listening to the album again and again when it first came out. Still a big fan of it.

Grinspoon's Guide To Better Living and White Zombie's Astro Creep 2000 remind me of a particular school swimming carnival where we pumped both cds from our tent at high volume, and Rage Against The Machine's self titled got a similar treatment at one of our winter sport carnivals. Teenage years are an impressionable time, I have heaps of recollections that go along with music. Testament's Electric Crown and Halford's Slow Down both strongly remind me of catching the bus home during first year uni, where I had to catch at least 4 buses a day.

Just thought of another one. Listening to Fear Factory - Demanufacture reminds me of being on the bus in Hobart in the mid 1990s. Cool times.