Music theory, musicianship and exposure in relation to technical music

Definately agreed!

Like I said, I don't think in terms of theory, when listening or writing....apart from to fill in gaps when writing when I just can't work out what should go where. I enjoy technical music because it offers something different to listen to, there is more to be heard generally than bog standard stuff. Unfortunately, that bog standard stuff is all that most people are ever exposed to and unless you gradually work your way up, I would imagine it would be hard to appreciate some of the more complex and different stuff.....like earlier I saw some peopl ediscussing meshuggah online. One called it crap..another said that he had thought the exact same thing when he first heard it...he just 'wasn't ready for it'

I agree with you Gildamere as far as composing goes. I was just wondering about listening to complex stuff in relation to the amount of listeners.
I think feeling is much more important in composing than thinking about trying to be complex, or even trying to be simple.

fragility said:
like earlier I saw some peopl ediscussing meshuggah online. One called it crap..another said that he had thought the exact same thing when he first heard it...he just 'wasn't ready for it'
Well, I think None, DEI and Chaosphere are godly. Nothing is disappointing/predictable/boring and I is crappy.

But again, that's me hehe.

but whether you like it or not, it would be hard to not respect it if you supposedly like' intelligent music' there are lots of bands who I don't particuarly like, or would choose to listen to, but I still respect what they are doing

Well, if I, as that guy, had only heard I I would be hard-pressed to respect it. Of course, the tale doesn't tell WHAT he heard, hehe. Otherwise you are of course right. Back when I first heard Meshuggah in 1994 or something, I didn't like it at first either.

Taedium Vitae said:
Well, if I, as that guy, had only heard I I would be hard-pressed to respect it. Of course, the tale doesn't tell WHAT he heard, hehe. Otherwise you are of course right. Back when I first heard Meshuggah in 1994 or something, I didn't like it at first either.

So all the other albums are way better than "I"? Because "I" is the only one of their albums I know. And "I" kept me from ever wanting to hear anything else by Meshuggah. Maybe I should reconsider...

From the sound of things a lot of people have trouble getting into them to start with...and what is 'better' may be tough to define, it's all going to come down to what you most enjoy

Gildamere: Correct. If you haven't heard Destroy Erase Improve or Chaosphere, you haven't heard Meshuggah. Still, many people need to listen to them a bunch of times before realizing how goddamn groovy it is (unless it's clearly not something for them). If it matters (shouldn't really) I seem to recall Bobby J. once saying that Chaosphere is his favourite album.

I have a pretty limited knowledge of theory, but I eat it up when I get a chance to learn. It bores a lot of people, but I love theory.

Like Taedium Vitae said, I don't think in 4/4. All the music I write is all over the place. My current favorite is 9/16.

Taedium Vitae said:
Gildamere: Correct. If you haven't heard Destroy Erase Improve or Chaosphere, you haven't heard Meshuggah. Still, many people need to listen to them a bunch of times before realizing how goddamn groovy it is (unless it's clearly not something for them). If it matters (shouldn't really) I seem to recall Bobby J. once saying that Chaosphere is his favourite album.
Any ideas as to where I could procure a copy of Sol Niger Within?

You can still get the original (and sadly, inferior) version from Morgan Ågren (the drummer) himself. www.morganagren.com

The best version, v3.33, is difficult to find. It pops up on eBay now and then but for exorbitant prices. You might get lucky and find it in a bin somewhere...

If you ask me, v.33 is much much better.

Answering the topic question, I got into Spastic Ink because of Bobby Jarzombek (great drummer). I was a fan of Halford, Bobby played in the band and I play drums. One day when checking out his site, I saw a new message saying that Ink Compatible had been released and that there were some mp3's on the official Spastic Ink site. I downloaded "Aquanet" and thought it was pretty cool. Musically, I didn't really pay attention to it until later on.
Some months ago, I decided to make a tab of Aquanet and only then did I realize the theorical complexity of the music. Interesting to see the different opinions.

Taedium Vitae said:
You can still get the original (and sadly, inferior) version from Morgan Ågren (the drummer) himself. www.morganagren.com

The best version, v3.33, is difficult to find. It pops up on eBay now and then but for exorbitant prices. You might get lucky and find it in a bin somewhere...

If you ask me, v.33 is much much better.
Thanks for the advice. I'll check every local record store for 3.33.

-ACRONYM

I don't know many people who have heard about spastic ink, or similar bands that are extremly abstract! Personally I've only heard spastic which are so incredibly technical! I've listened alot to Dream Theater too, and to the guy who said that ain't Prog.music, your'e wrong man! They're definitively a prog band! They just play traditional melodic in most off their songs! But to the reply! Off course music theory helps one understand the complexity off the music! And playing an instrument yourself offcourse helps one understand what the band is doing helps and appreciate the difficulties the musicians have gone through to reach such a superior level of technic skills! F.eks Ron's fantastic licks or Bobby amazing drumsolos, and ostinates all the same! Knowing the little theory I know, and listening to spastic has certainly helped me understand that there's a LOOOONG way to perfection and spastic helps me get there! Prog on people! We cant let music like this die out! :headbang: