music theory shizzle

Baliset

guitar deity
Jul 31, 2002
New England
www.maudlinofthewell.com
i posted a little bit about this in my LJ but i am struggling with coming up with interesting solo ideas using the A Egyptian scale that don't sound like cliche "exotic" scale solos. Here's the scale:

A B C D# E F G# A

the funny thing is that i originally stumbled onto this scale when i had decided to make a composite scale of all these "exotic" ideas i was working on and that has really come full circle to bite me in the ass. :yuk:

Hey, can you tell me...is the Egyptian scale really Egyptian? Or is that just the music the West has use to connote "Egypt", but it has no grounding in real Egyptian scales?

i am willing to bet that its not egyptian at all and was just given the name because you can use its notes to play all those silly kind of egyptian cliche melodies.

but it is still a cooler sounding name that harmonic minor #4 which is what it literally is.

the thing is that i want the solo to have a chatoic sound because the song already has alot of different chord voicings and harmonies in various other places and i wanted a place to be yngwie for a few moments. :)

I'm pretty sure there's nothing historically egyptian about this scale, as I'm also sorta almost certain egyptian folk music was not strictly dodecatonal, if at all.

Anyhow, music theory! I played about with it, but since I'm not an awesome xtreme to the max speedy soloist I don't think any of my malformed sequences would be useful but I noticed a few things partaining to the geometrical structure of the scale, as applied on the guitar neck. First of all, the couple of semitones are arranged thusly that they could make for interesting sweeps, if you're interested in that. Starting on the fifth fret on the low E (the root A) there's a pretty easy to finger sweep sequence or two to be played, two-note per string, as well as one note per string up and down a few times, although I could only practice such things on the minute-per-beat way. More interestingly, since you seem to like your soloing pretty high pitched (as I've gathered mainly from MotW), this scale is nice in that it uses a lot of notes that are open strings. So if you can figure out a few nice patterns over the twefth fret, nothing's stopping you from embellishing them with rapid pull-offs to the open strings, or even some flashy two-hand tapping.

Furthermore, this scale I think is pretty similar to the Hungarian Minor A, which provides some very convinient 8,9 semitone steps :

e|---------------8-9-11
b|-----------8-9-------
g|-----7-8-9-----------
d|----------------------
a|----------------------
E|----------------------

that could be used for some campy-yet-effective dual note voicings or maybe the quick 32ths

e|--------10p9-----10p9-----10p9-12p9-whatever
b|-------------10p9-----10p9---------

which you could also embellish with right hand tapping since the 10p9s do not require any picking if you've got your action set pretty high.

and from the hungarian minor, you can go to either major or minor pentatonic in either A or E I find that that transition is smooth. Generally the hugarian minor A works just fine under E generally, for future notice. When in doubt, go atonal! no linear series of semitones played really really fast ever sounded bad, as so many bands since slayer have taught us.

Surprisingly, since I have had my first bass lesson last night and my teacher blazed through essential music theory (notes on the fretboard, notation, major, minor, scales, arpeggios, root third and fifth notes, intervals, tone, half-tone etc...) I understood most of that..

Great! The sooner you start visualising the fretboard in various scalar configurations rather than in series of nameless semintones, the better. You'd be surpised how few 'metal' musicians even know which relation the note or chord they're playing has with the tonal center of whatever they're playing most of the time.

well sweep picking is definitely not my thing but you are right about it being a cool idea in the scale. one thing i did when i first learned the scale was map out the chords for it and it has some interesting possibilities.

A C E G#-Amin maj7
B D# F A-Bdom7 flat5
C E G# B-C aug maj7
D# F A C-???
E G# B D#-Emaj7
F A C E-Fmaj7
G# B D# F-G#min7

also it very well could be hungarian minor as well so i will try the pentatonic idea because that might break up the standard exotic-isms that i tend to gravitate towards.

i like how you refer to me as being "high-pitched" in my solos. i think you are right on the ball there. maybe i should try the lower half of the neck some more!

Helm said:
Great! The sooner you start visualising the fretboard in various scalar configurations rather than in series of nameless semintones, the better. You'd be surpised how few 'metal' musicians even know which relation the note or chord they're playing has with the tonal center of whatever they're playing most of the time.
I don't play metal but thanks for the advice