music university in germany help!!

prosacpils666

Jan 31, 2007
Hi everybody!!
Ok, i have the oportunity to go to study music in germany, the problem is that i don't know any university in germany that have composition and/or harmony... and audio engineering.

I'm from chile right now.. but i have german nationality (i don't know german still :), but i will learn it) so i will go and study in germany hopefully the at the next 5 years... so.. i need info about the germans universities that have those those courses (preferably that looks like a castle.. like heidelberg universität). So, any help would very handy :)

thanks and hope you understand my very bad english :rofl:

Hi everybody!!
Ok, i have the oportunity to go to study music in germany, the problem is that i don't know any university in germany that have composition and/or harmony... and audio engineering.

...(preferably that looks like a castle.. like heidelberg universität)...

As long as no University has accepted you, you do not have the opportunity to study musc at a German Uni. The competition is quite fierce and there are not many programs that focus solely on the stuff you want to do. I guess you would have to attend an audition in order to get admitted to a particular program.
And by the way, I would not really choose the Uni on the basis whether the music department is in an old castle or not....

Cheers

I don`t think smth. like that exists (in GER). there`s the SAE for engineering etc. (privat school for idiots; don`t go there(hang out in these kinds of forums for a year and your better off, and it`s for free ;-))
and then there are musical schools...;
but I don`t know an uni that combines those two subjects.

Studying music and audio engineering in Germany are two completely different parts. Unless you go to private schools like the SAE for example.
You can't study music at the same time with audio engineering because you will not have the time for both!
I would suggest you check with the German embassy in Chile. They can hook you up with lots of addresses (if they are willing to work, which is not always the case ....)

As for as I know the University in Stuttgart has a pretty good reputation. But it also depends on what exactly you want to study. Like music in general (history or conduction or to be music teacher and so on) or on certain instruments.
Just search google for universities and write them an email.

But it's very tough to get into one. And AFAIK playing piano is a must just to get in and make it to the entry test. But it's definitely doable.

As for the audio engineering route it's all based on classical music. You learn how to read sheet music and you get to work with orchestras, operas and all that good stuff :)

But no matter what you go for, you'll probably end up jobless anyway ;-)

Thanks to everybody!, so the university of stuttgart, i check the wikipedia and it doesn't have a faculty of music, so i would go and ask the german embassy..

I'm studing electronic civil engineering in chile, i would like not only to study music (preferably composition/harmony) but also study a magister there. But it's true that i would be very dificult that they accept me?. And other question is.. are de universities still free? Here at chile you have to pay something like 4500 euros to study a career (depending of what you want to study, medicine is more expensive while economist is cheaper..)

---edit---

Universities at chile are very small and very depresing in ambient.. that's why preferably something that would be nice to study :D

Well, university never has been completely free in Germany and it's gotten more expensive to study. If not for the tuition fees then for living. You also should take that into consideration in which city you want to study. There are more expensive cities or areas and less expensive places to live. Stuttgart would be somewhere in the middle. Heidelberg would be more expensive from what I heard.

But you should check with the embassy and the university if they have like a sponsorship program or something like that.
For your route I would suggest to try the "Musikhochschule Trossingen" (http://www.mh-trossingen.de) they have some of the best reputation in Germany. They are located between Stuttgart and the border to Switzerland. And I know from my drummer, who used to worked in that town, that they have a lot of students from different countries there.