Whats the best music production school???

Haha, not slagging it, just Scots is better :lol:

Il take your word for it ha when your down that neck of the woods be sure to check out some trad music some of those guys have mad skills on their intruments. I know its not metal like but its good for a laf when your drunk

This might not be what you're looking for but I decided to tell you anyway, see what you can get out of it.

I've been in your seat before and decided to bail out.
From my understanding, depending on your motivation, these institutes (fullsail, SAE) will work on the level you're into it. Meaning, if you're there to learn everything and be first in line AND keep a solid practice schedule (do shit yourself instead of reading about it) you'll be fine. If you decide to do only what's necc. you'll be nothing more than a cableboy with no backbone when stuff doesnt work the way you expected it to be. I considered enlisting at this similair school that starts out with an sound engineering course this year... the thing is, they're about 10 to 15 years late.
The record business as we know it have had their best years and theres plenty and I mean, plenty of GOOD engineers and producers out there without jobs that will do your job better and cheaper. Go look for a real job and rock out recording on the side, if you're good at what you do you'll get there. At least, that's what I got out of it. In retrospect it would have been so easy, go to school and get a job. Unfortunately it doesnt work like that, you get chosen by artists and labels for your visions and capabilities, not your degrees on the first place.

Also, I think we're all good examples of the whole do-alot-with-very-little scene, people can buy intermediate audio gear (002/003,firepod,firestudio,fireface) and make decent records with it for a whole less than anybody else (less overhead). As soon as people get this, they dont NEED that big studio with outfitted with Neumann's and Neve gear to make a good sounding record, they wont go to those big places. Do a lot with little!

I hope this helped

Everyone I know who went to a recording school has said they'd have been better off spending the tuition money on gear and teaching themselves.

HMM thats what i thought might be the case. Oh and im not in it for money at all thats what i got my degree for. Its a personal interest/obsession ive learnt a lot so far on my own maybe i should continue to go it alone and use the money saved to buy gear as suggested i never needed anyone to help when learning guitar so maybe i should do it diy style with forums like this and others should be ok hmm still undecided damm

If I remember correctly, Adam D himself said he didn't learn much that was useful from Berklee. You'd probably be better off just trying to work at a local studio or doing DIY stuff.

schools dont teach everything. I am in a program right now that I really like but its just like learning an instrument, really. How successful you are pretty much comes down to how much time and effort you are willing to put into it.

You probably have your consensus by now, but you could always do a test for yourself. Buy $1000 worth of gear/software, take 12 weeks to learn as much as possible about it, read the docs front to back, hit google, Wikipedia, forums, and especially work with the gear every chance you get. Then, if you think your still lacking anything.. take the course (or a cheaper one).

Il take your word for it ha when your down that neck of the woods be sure to check out some trad music some of those guys have mad skills on their intruments. I know its not metal like but its good for a laf when your drunk

you're speaking to someone in a folk metal band, bro :)

I live for trad celtic music.

i go to a school: you don't really learn all the stuff you need, mostly just technical shit, like console signal flow. aschool will only teach you so much.

Not to single you out Keith, but the attitude of your comment is relative to this discussion...

Signal flow (and gain staging) is 100% the most important thing to understand and master in audio engineering. That's a fact. A presumably good student having the mindset that it's "just technical shit" proves to me that engineering schools are pretty much bullshit.

i didn't mean it like that, but yeah it's definately important. what i meant to say was schools can't teach you how to hear things, or even how to mix really. They teach you techniques and stuff, but there's stuff that everyone has to learn on their own.

What i was saying was not everyone is going to be mixing on a huge SSL in their career(i'm probably not, i want to do video game post production), or expect that that's all they will do for money. Yes signal flow is extremely important (it's the main thing we learn about), but schools only really teach you technical skills, you're going to have to learn the naunces on your own.

Now personally i don't think engineering schools are complete BS, i just think that they don't teach every thing one might need or use. Not everyone needs to go to one.

did he not bass major guitar minor in berklee? like. did he not do music not music production there?

For 45K you can come to audiohammer and follow me around for a year while im at the studio. Not saying its the best school, but you'll have a good time and prolly learn more.

Or seriously dude, find a good studio close to home with good engineers, if possible. Do everything short of getting arrested to land an internship. Show up on time, shut the hell up and watch and listen. Bring good coffee. You'll be assisting in no time.

i go to a school: you don't really learn all the stuff you need, mostly just technical shit, like console signal flow. aschool will only teach you so much.

As i have already said its the technical shit i want to learn not the more creative aspects like mic placement mixing ect (although id never refuse guidance from some one in this feild ) any ways i found a part time course in a music college right here in dublin so i might check it out further http://pulserecording.com/college/ looks like it might be ok.

Oh and thanks to everyone for their input i found it very useful

Now personally i don't think engineering schools are complete BS, i just think that they don't teach every thing one might need or use. Not everyone needs to go to one.

Agreed. One of my best friends is a Grammy nominated engineer who went to Full Sail. Another friend of mine who was Dr. Dre's best engineer went to the old Soundmaster. I did the community college thing myself.

Or seriously dude, find a good studio close to home with good engineers, if possible. Do everything short of getting arrested to land an internship. Show up on time, shut the hell up and watch and listen. Bring good coffee. You'll be assisting in no time.

I'd say that's pretty good advice...But my personal experience has led me to believe that this strategy will only get you so far unless you're extremely talented and extremely lucky - simultaneously. Or if home is Los Angeles, NYC, Nashville, or Atlanta stateside. It really depends on how far you want to take it, I guess.

Agreed. One of my best friends is a Grammy nominated engineer who went to Full Sail. Another friend of mine who was Dr. Dre's best engineer went to the old Soundmaster. I did the community college thing myself.

I'd say that's pretty good advice...But my personal experience has led me to believe that this strategy will only get you so far unless you're extremely talented and extremely lucky - simultaneously. Or if home is Los Angeles, NYC, Nashville, or Atlanta stateside. It really depends on how far you want to take it, I guess.

Well, even if you go to recording school you still have to be simultaneously lucky and talented, as well as willing to give up any chance of having a normal life in terms of hours and days off. No gives a FUCK where you went to school, period. If you can do the job you will find a way to show them and you will get handed the controls, no doubt.