Whats the best music production school???

James-Doolan

Jun 6, 2007
Sydney
Hi i was looking at this online part time courses from berklee

http://www.berkleemusic.com/school/courses/music_production

I want to get a good foundation in music production and tecnology with the aim to one day set up my own proffesional studio unfortunatly i have to work full time at the moment so i can only study part time nights and stuff for the forseable future (1-2 years) so do you think one any of those courses are worthwhile given the price ect?? or do you think id be better off waiting to do a full time course/ degree in the future also is there any places courses you would recomend in ireland/UK region ??

Damn those prices are nuts. You can get a full associates degree in audio engineering at my local college for the price of one of those classes.....

I know the school itself is good (adam d went there) just dont know if the online courses are good. But yea they are pricey

Ge milis am fìon, tha e searbh ri dhìol.

If i paid attentention in school id know what that ment that and i hated learning the irish language (indeed all languages more of a maths guy) didnt think you scots did much gaelic were ye forced to learn it in school also??

If i paid attentention in school id know what that ment that and i hated learning the irish language (indeed all languages more of a maths guy) didnt think you scots did much gaelic were ye forced to learn it in school also??

"The wine tastes sweet, but the paying is bitter"

Nah, i grew up on the west coast in argyll.

"The wine tastes sweet, but the paying is bitter"

Nah, i grew up on the west coast in argyll.

Nice saying must remember that ya i know i have a long road ahead of me and im in not to much of a rush but it would be nice to have a good understanding of the principals of recording which i dont have at the moment kinda like i know if i put a mic in position x in front of amp x i will have killer tone but i want to know why like how sound waves travell how a mic works what happens to the signal when it is converted to digital how does the room effect the sound all that jazz and hopefully that would make me better even if it didnt it would still be nice to realy know what im doing.

Well i'm doing sound and video technology in Lit in Limerick- it's alright not so much recording as theory and the technician side of it, we do some recording but it's more towards radio and video than for recording bands. - i've learned a ton and it's quite broad. if you apply yerself you'll get an awful lot out of it and can twist it to bands- its what i'm plannning on doing when i finish.

they also have a music production course which started last year which is quite good- i know a few people that do it, its more towards just music, they do some foley stuff too- be aware its not metal though- i heard last year there was alot of hip hop lovers in the course. worth considering doing if your apply yourself.

there's also pulse up in dublin a fetac course in ballyfermot i think- i heard they are pretty good, learn alot there like. i know a guy who did the pulse one and thought it was very good.
There's full music production degree's in Maynooth and UL and i hear they are kitted out well gear wise, no idea if they are any good though.

it has to be said though that the courses aren't much good on their own- unless you jump headfirst into messing with recording it'll mean very little- i know lads going into 3rd year that haven't a clue.

Well i'm doing sound and video technology in Lit in Limerick- it's alright not so much recording as theory and the technician side of it, we do some recording but it's more towards radio and video than for recording bands. - i've learned a ton and it's quite broad. if you apply yerself you'll get an awful lot out of it and can twist it to bands- its what i'm plannning on doing when i finish.

they also have a music production course which started last year which is quite good- i know a few people that do it, its more towards just music, they do some foley stuff too- be aware its not metal though- i heard last year there was alot of hip hop lovers in the course. worth considering doing if your apply yourself.

there's also pulse up in dublin a fetac course in ballyfermot i think- i heard they are pretty good, learn alot there like. i know a guy who did the pulse one and thought it was very good.
There's full music production degree's in Maynooth and UL and i hear they are kitted out well gear wise, no idea if they are any good though.

it has to be said though that the courses aren't much good on their own- unless you jump headfirst into messing with recording it'll mean very little- i know lads going into 3rd year that haven't a clue.

very true its about theroy and then putting it into practice big time lots and lots and lots and lots and did i say lots of practice. Il check out some of those courses thanks mate.

Ive been messing around with recording our band for the last couple of years started with a tape recorder moved on to boss digital recorder now using emu interface into cubase sx mosltly just doing guitars though. Id like to start recording bands like local bands starting out would do it for free until i got a bit of experience but before i do this i want to have a theroy base from which to work off of.

You're on.

Should be down that way in a few months :D

I'll video it.

how are you going to post the video when your tied to a rock on some small craggy island with an enraged drunken man shouting at you in unrecogniseable irish and beating you with the local foileage (rocks) while his prize sheep looks on with a sadistic look of happyness. :OMG:

joking people from the west are lovely just dont slag their irish :lol: :heh:

how are you going to post the video when your tied to a rock on some small craggy island with an enraged drunken man shouting at you in unrecogniseable irish and beating you with the local foileage (rocks) while his prize sheep looks on with a sadistic look of happyness. :OMG:

joking people from the west are lovely just dont slag their irish :lol: :heh:

Haha, not slagging it, just Scots is better :lol: