How did you into the music business...

I the music business.....???

but seriously, i started playing in a band with some guys in school, our school organised a small project where we would be recorded, i wasnt happy with the results (uber-naive teenager), went to college to get a diploma in playing bass (LOL) along the way we were given basic production techniques, recording to dat-tapes, mic'ing drums, using analogue desks, etc... i took a massive interest in it, went from there... that was about 7 years ago

I bought a pair of chinese studio monitors and put them on both sides of my computer screen, then I took a photo and put it on myspace and called myself a producer.

Pretty much this

Wanted to record
DI guitars and programmed drums (stock plugins) were bad so we buy a mic and interface
One SM57 for the drums sounds like shit WTF!
Find this site...
??? (a year and a half passes)
Profit?

+1 this site especially (big thanks to iamandy :kickass: this beers for you)

I also got sick of the guys who were actually doing the production course at the college, tell me how it should sound and saying if i want it to sound different, i should record it myself...

I kinda miss the tape recording days... i don't miss the lack of tracks to record to... 16 tracks is barely enough for drum tracking

Played guitar
Got in a shit band
Recorded at the shittest local studios
Decided i'm better than these people
Started recording my own stuff
Sounded like shit
Discovered forum
Sounded a bit better but still shit
Started Music Tech BTEC
Learnt nothing
Still shit

My buddys dad owns a stage lighting/live sound company...they needed an extra person on a job one day...liked the way i worked...been working there ever since, i started out mainly doing just the lighting and then a few months ago they started to transition me over to the audio end

I imagine it would be really hard get into the industry without playing an instrument, as it's so much easier to communicate with a musician if you are a musician.

Lets rewind back to 1999. Then at the local parish center I started as a live mixing engineer ten years ago when I was 16, did that for like 3-4 years until started playing drums when I was 20, played in two bands and just noticed that I don't really enjoy this thing so I just stuck with the mixing part. I started out as a music journalist and then I did a record review from a band, liked the CD, I made a website for them and we became friends. Then I went to the army, got back, got unemployed and then got a regular job as a sound engineer at one of the biggest clubs in Helsinki owned by the municipality and got a job as trainee thru that on the municipalitys studio and when that ended I started freelancing. Then I was a inhouse engineer at four different venues, started mixing my friends band live and go on tour with them, then a band that he recorded and his girlfriends band etc, then via friend of a friend of a friend I got a job for a few summers (going next summer also) at the nightclub of one of the biggest seavessels in the world and I moved to middle of nowhere in 2008 to study music technology after the fourth try. And then I started playing guitar by myself when I was 24.

In 10 years I've totalled about ~1000 gigs (~800 as inhouse engineer and 200 on tour: 500 on monitors, 200 on FOH, 300 combined), 4 tours, 3 albums, ~20 demos and 90 pounds.

My CV is at the frontpage of www.ahjteam.com

Band for a while, uni doing sound stuff, got a job at a live venue, recorded bands @ uni studios..

Now I do freelance AE'ing (both studio and live) while studying a PhD in Ambisonics & Spatial Audio and working at the 02 Academy in Glasgow.

Played guitar
Got in a shit band
Recorded at the shittest local studios
Decided i'm better than these people
Started recording my own stuff
Sounded like shit
Discovered forum
Sounded a bit better but still shit
Started Music Tech BTEC
Learnt nothing
Still shit
Started listening to jazz and gave up all hope of ever playing actual music.

There's my experiences with music. :rofl:

My whole family is musicians, so I've been living around music for my entire life. My mother is a theater teacher/director, so I started running lights for her when I was maybe 11-12. Soon I started playing with sound as well and figured out that it's much more interesting. Since then I've been doing theaters, I did all the sound at my high school, I've been working festivals and stuff like that and now I'm taking an engineering degree. I actually rejected a full time tech job a few months before I started my studies, and I don't regret it one bit. I've not been recording that much, mostly my own stuff, and since I started school I've been recording lots of bands. But I'm probably more experienced doing live stuff.