Music Upload Advice

Aish!

-Аиш!
Dec 15, 2010
Australia
www.facebook.com
I can hardly believe how dead this place has become with almost no comment on Matt's latest update and the YouTube link to I'm In A Cage, but I need some advice and was hoping that someone here might be able to help.

I've recently arranged some music for which I don't own copyright or have the various artists' permission, but I'd like to upload it somewhere online, just to share with people, and not to try to make any money out of. YouTube and SoundCloud's T's & C's say I can't do it with them legally, so can anybody recommend a site?

Cheers.

I literally just ran into this issue (was doing something with Taylor Swift tracks) and discovered that vid.me doesn't seem to have any copyright issues. I doubt it's legal if you don't have any artist's permissions but it will let you get away with it.

One of the more recent additions to YouTube is that it has an algorithm that finds copyrighted songs and slaps ads on it, if the copyright holder participates. So in some cases it will let you upload and then the artists will get an ad revenue. Seems like a good compromise to me. Another option on YouTube is to make it a private video which can only be accessed by your friends via url. That will come with a lot less restrictions, I think.

Many thanks to Rawshik and SeaStorm for their comments. I had given up hope of anybody offering any advice and had already asked SeaStorm to delete this thread.

I have discovered that copyright law may not apply to parodies and satires, at least in Australia, if they have no commercial interest, which has given me some hope of posting my recent creation somewhere online, but too many sites have terms and conditions that I simply cannot agree with, so vid.me sounds promising. I'll check it out later today, and hope to upload my mashup masterpiece soon and post a link so everyone can have a listen and wonder why I bothered!

I would be happy for the artists whose work I've used to receive ad revenue from YouTube, but the algorithm would have to be pretty good to give everyone their fair share!

With Youtube it depends on what songs you want to upload, I've rarely had any problems with non-mainstream songs. Other video sharing sites like Vimeo are a lot more lax with copyright though.

If I'm going to upload to one of these video sites, I want to make a half decent video.
I made a start back in June, but after a couple of system updates, my computer can't handle any video software without constantly crashing.
It could all be fixed, but I don't want to loose my Sibelius music software, the original of which is hidden in a mountain of boxes in a storage unit.

It's all a bit sad really, because I'd love to share my arrangement with the 5 or 6 people who still visit this forum, but for now it's just sitting on the back burner.