Music123 blowout, Washburn 7 string, $99.99 shipped!

Looks like a cheap Chinese, alder body bolt-on 7 string. Check this thread:

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35793&page=1

Some interesting posts in there. Basically, this guitar has always sold for around this same price (although 99.99 is the cheapest it's been yet.) It's Music123 pulling a scam, the guitar never listed for $900 or whatever, and there have been numerous complaints about things such as strings not being spaced evenly at the nut, bad input jacks, and other earmarks of a cheap ass sweatshop guitar.

Some people said they've made a cool project axe out of it, but...

I'd much sooner get an Agile 7 string!

I don't think anyone really expected this thing to ever cost $950, I would guess it might be a $350 guitar on introduction.

The Agile 7 string, does it sell for $99.99 shipped? :) I see it at Rondo for $399.99. I wasn't in the market for a $400 guitar. Hell, I wasn't in the market at all, but a hundred bucks? Seemed like a painless way to get my feet wet in the seven string pool.

Anyway, here are some pics, an initial review, & a clip.

wg587-01.jpg

wg587-02.jpg

wg587-03.jpg

Initial impression out of the box: wax residue on switch screws & back plate, bridge about 3 feet off of the body, dab of glue visible on nut, neck pup cranked down so tight I thought it might be broken. Sizable amount of orange peel visible in spots, depending on the lighting angle. Grover tuners! Thin neck, I like the neck. I try not to look at the headstock.

It's acceptable for a $99 guitar; much over $150 & I'd have been wanting better fit & finish.

Initial playing impression: got bridge where I want it, pickups where I want them, & tuned it (drop A). The low A needs to be intonated, the rest are fine. I'll swap strings out on it pretty quickly, I bought a 3-pack of 010-046's & a 3-pack of 060's, those will go on it when I'm ready to detune some more.

The pickups are surprisingly low output; I will have to alter all of my tone patches & save them seperately for this guitar. bulb's patch sounds great on it, as expected. My other patches, they sound like half the gain is gone. That really surprised me. The bridge pickups in my other guitars are all pretty hot (SD SH-6 Distortion, SD Dimebucker, EMG 81), & even the stocker in my Squier '51 is hotter.

This will be the guitar that I try DiMarzio's on; from what I've read, I'll go Air Norton in the neck, still unsure of a bridge pup.

Here's the clip, 1:23 worth of mindless riffing: WG587 Test

bulb tone patch :)

Mine just came in today and thus I got my first real exposure to the 7 string world. My first response:

Holy shit, this is like fucking a girl with 3 tits. Nice!

CGord -

I'm very pleased with it except for the intonation. I'd like to have it set at A but I don't think it's possible. I threw the saddle all the way back and still my 12th fret A was sharp. Anyway, fucking awesome, can't wait to jam with my other guitarist when he picks his up.