Musical "rites of passage"...

Astarte Ah, someone else who has discovered Current 93

They truly are one of the best bands I've come across this far. Do you have any recommendations of more underground bands of that particular sound?

I just ordered a couple of CD's by In gowan ring, Ostara and Lady Morphia through Amazon.

Funny, every band that i have found that plays this kind of music has been really good and interesting in their own way, and everyone seems to be collaborating with eachother.

Hehe, that's true, if you see the World Serpent Guide, you'll see they're all related. They have a similar sound but it's different... the bands i like most are Death In June, Nature And Organization, Sol Invictus, Fire + Ice, Coil, Nurse With Wound, SPK, Throbbing Gristle and NON...

...also i love Antony And The Johnsons but it's very different from the rest.. sort of romantic dark pop (ok, i suck, i know :p )

hmm... what else....
  • Darkwood (similar to Backworld)
  • Thighpaulsandra (sort of experimental electro)

Hehe, I really like Anthony and the Johnsons too. It might not be fitting for a guy to like them but.. uhm, they are great so why care? Their verison of Soft black stars is really beautiul.

I'll check out Throbbing Gristle. If you haven't heard Mourning Cloak, 'The Spectral Light and Moonshine Firefly Snakeoil Jamboree' and Stone Breath I really recommend them. They are all brainchilds of one Timothy Renner.

A roomie of mine had 'Together We Summon The Dark' from Abyssos, one day when he wasn't around I stole it from him and got hooked, it was unlike anything I had heard before, I had been mainly into bands like Metallica, Iron Maiden, Faith No More, Ozzy and so on.
After this I stole other albums from him too, Barathrum - Legions Of Perkele and Marduk - Heaven Shall Burn... had a big part in my converting to the 'dark' side :D
Of course at the time I didn't have much money to buy the albums, so I just borrowed stuff.

@salamurhaaja : "together we summon the dark" is really a great album, very dark, strange and with cool keyboards :)

Originally posted by Phildwarf
@salamurhaaja : "together we summon the dark" is really a great album, very dark, strange and with cool keyboards :)

Yep, that it is, I didn't like their second album nearly as much, they changed the singer which affected that and I think they started to remind CoF a bit too much for my liking. I hope the 3rd album will be better, Rehn is supposedly working on it still, but since he now does everything alone it might take a while.

Originally posted by Kuru
Hehe, I really like Anthony and the Johnsons too. It might not be fitting for a guy to like them but.. uhm, they are great so why care? Their verison of Soft black stars is really beautiul.
:hotjump: i've found my long lost twin! :D
i've only know one person who likes him...
His music is so beautiful that it stirrs all sorts of emotions in me :)

If you haven't heard Mourning Cloak, 'The Spectral Light and Moonshine Firefly Snakeoil Jamboree' and Stone Breath I really recommend them. They are all brainchilds of one Timothy Renner.
I hadn't heard them before.. thank you! i love it already ;)

It happened to me when I heard Virgin Steele for the first time, and a little time after, when I discovered Vintersorg. Both mix great melodies, lyrics, and deep feelings, into eternal masterpieces.

NP: Crown of Autumn - A Lyre in the Vesper's Calm

solitude aeternus - days of prayer (the first metal song i liked ever)
iced earth - melancholy (heard it and stucked into IE for two years or smth)
nevermore - narcosynthesis (got me into prog/thrash)
atheist - water (showed my how amazing death metal can be...)

I've been constantly overlookink this thread :eek: Cannot be!!!

Well, there's one bands that fits the description - Amon Amarth. That was my fav band since the first moment I listened to them, and still is!!! Got me into Death Metal as well, I guess, since I already liked Viking Metal back then in 98 :)