You who live in Sweden: musical education

Gawen

Night! You beautiful
Jan 11, 2006
Milan, Italy
www.myspace.com
I’m studying at University that up there in Sweden musical education is almost free and bands are financed by Government. Is that true?
Here in Italy it’s a shame, we got vast musical background, lot of best composers ever but study music is very expansive and the worst is that our politicians (whatever their ideas may be) don’t give a f..k about it. :mad:
I also read somewhere that in all Scandinavian Countries, as well as in South America, musicians are well considered and respected while in Italy people consider us slackers (and also criminals, especially we who play metal) and music it’s seen as a waste of time. :mad: :mad: :mad:
I would like to know what about the rest of the world.

Where’s Music there you can find a pure heart!

In Sweden, there's free musical education in grammar school, same as in many other countries I think. All university studies are free (except you still have to pay for food and appartment in one way or another). So if you want, you can study musical subjects at a university, but you'd probably have to take loans to finance your studies.

But the government doesn't finance bands, maybe you can get "contribution" money (the government love making people dependant on their alms) at most. And I don't think they should get any money either.

I don't really know about the respect thing either. Unless you're really successful, I don't think most people consider being a musician "real work".

I wish America cared more about its educational system....music is the biggest joke for us, just take a look at our "trends" :erk:

I guess that is what happens when your government begins to worry more about its business allies compared to the families that are homeless and can barely afford to make ends meat.

Seraphim Belial said:
I wish America cared more about its educational system....music is the biggest joke for us, just take a look at our "trends" :erk:

I guess that is what happens when your government begins to worry more about its business allies compared to the families that are homeless and can barely afford to make ends meat.

True

I think that musical education is very important...since the youth
Here in Italy we have a musical education only in the middle
school, and this is absolutely not right
I the Northern countries music it's really more important than here
( I have a Dutch friend, and there se has a really complete
education on this...)

I hear there are special music schools in sweden called skogensmusikskola för begåvatten:lol:

pardon my crappy swedish...still struggling

musical education from a young age is important...but unfortunatly if you want to learn music you either have to do it by yourself or pay a tutor/private music school...then they wonder why Israeli mainstream music sucks balls.

p.s
I'm new in this forum(but Jrgen knows who I am), I would have come here earlier if I noticed there was a VS forum in UM. Anyway I love Vintersorg for quite a while and I'm using the songs to help me with my swedish...
Vintersorg är min frälsa...

musical education from a young age is important...but unfortunatly if you want to learn music you either have to do it by yourself or pay a tutor/private music school...then they wonder why Israeli mainstream music sucks balls.

Sorry to ruin your dreams, but mainstream music sucks in Sweden too. And in Denmark, and, I suspect, in every country on the face of the planet.

I meant sucks comparing to mainstream music in other countries...
In normal countries, there's a vast export of local mainstream artists for example the US:Britney Spears and the rest of the million teen idols
and the million rappers they have there
UK:Atomic Kitten and general britpop
Sweden: ABBA
Denmark:Aqua
and so on...

Israel main musical export is metal, while metal lovers in israel are considered musical minority...which says that if metal is the main export, then the mainstream must be pretty shitty(apart from Blackfield,but Steven Wilson is british so it doesn't count)

speaking of Swedish mainstream... I feel some VS forum members are about to stone me to death for what I'm about to do...so here goes

jag känner en bott,
Hon hetter Anna,Anna heter hon
Och hon kan banna, banna dig så hårt
Hon röjer upp i våran kanal
Jag vill berätta för dig, att jag känner en bott

i am now ready to die

:)

Is that really true though? Metal being Israel's main musical export? If it's true, then your country wins at music.

I can see I should be cheerful about it but fact is that while metal is the main export, only a handful of people listen to it in the country, I believe no more than 6,000 metalheads in the whole country of 7 million people.
we also have a decent trance music export but again that's a monority genre.
most people in Israel listen to imported pop rather than local simply because it's better, while the good local artists are not good enough to export.

there's a good side to all of this...
a. being such a small metal community everyone knows pretty much everyone which is also the reason why there's never violence in metal clubs and metal shows(apart from moshing but even moshing isn't violent...no punching and kicking randomly in the pit,just people bumping into each other)
b.with being a small metal community in a small country, the number of bands is not very big so you pretty much get to know all metal bands that start performing and with being a small number of bands it's easier for good bands to stand out and break into international market.

but enough about israel...more about sweden, I want to go there after university...i'm not learning swedish for nothing.
jag lär sig svensk för fettan...skoj:lol:
jag gör så för skogarna:headbang:

sorry, I just don't get you, paradoxile...
you would rather see "bands" like aqua coming from israel than no famous band in your country? o_O

some export is better than no export...so yes, I would rather see shitty israeli pop bands make it abroad than see no israeli band make it abroad...it's good for the band, it's good for the image of the country.
believe it or not but getting a good place at the eurovision contest here means the whole world to the country because it reflects on some level what the people of europe think of israel...because it's all just politics anyway.

100 metal bands for one country is not much...and not all bands on that list are that good or still existing.
the way promotion works in israel is mostly through hyde park(israeli forums center) and through bands promoting themselves(fliers, demos) on concerts of other bands since most of the bands are unsigned to a label or have their own independant label which is pretty much the same because either way they finance themselves.

oh and feel free to correct my swedish...there isn't any other way for me to know if I sound like a tourist in stockholm:)
:D

Jag lär mig svenska.
Han lär sig svenska.
Svensk = the nationality
Svenska = the language

Otherwise it's all fine.

Speaking of Israeli metal, I bought an album randomly because it was cheap and it turned out to be Israeli BM.

:D

Jag lär mig svenska.
Han lär sig svenska.
Svensk = the nationality
Svenska = the language

Otherwise it's all fine.

Speaking of Israeli metal, I bought an album randomly because it was cheap and it turned out to be Israeli BM.

about the svensk svenska I always thought it was the other way around because norwegian(the language) is Norsk(Nynorsk or Bokmål is beside the point) so i though it was the same and then svenska means a swede...learned a new thing or should I say jag lärde mig en nyting

tack så mycket igen,Jörgen