Musical education

I took private lessons for a year and half when I first picked up the guitar. I was 12 years old at the time (23 years old now). But the guy started to flake on me (he was supposed to come to my house and a lot of times he wouldn't show up), so my parents stopped paying for him and I spent a lot of time learning alone. I improved, but I would have improved more if I had a teacher the hwole time because I wasn't sure what I should be learning, whereas I think a teacher would have given me some direction.

I started taking lessons again a year ago and have been for the past year and it's helping me greatly.

Dan
www.into-obscurity.com

I TOOK LESSONS FOR ABOUT 1-2 MONTHS, SINCE THEN I HAVE TAUGHT MYSELF, IT HAS BEEN ABOUT2 YEARS SINCE. I MUST SAY I HAVE STUCK WITH IT AND I AM NOW LEARNING FAR BEYOND THE SUN BY YNGWIE, THOUGH I HAVE A STRONG FEELIN I AM GOING TO GET TO A PART REAL SOON AND HAVE TO STOP.

i'm a music major, focus on composition. my roots are in classical music. ive studied music theory exstensivly. i am working on getting into the san fransisco conservatory of music which is the julliard on the west coast. i hope i make it in!!!!
~gR~

Originally posted by VENOM
I TOOK LESSONS FOR ABOUT 1-2 MONTHS, SINCE THEN I HAVE TAUGHT MYSELF, IT HAS BEEN ABOUT2 YEARS SINCE. I MUST SAY I HAVE STUCK WITH IT AND I AM NOW LEARNING FAR BEYOND THE SUN BY YNGWIE, THOUGH I HAVE A STRONG FEELIN I AM GOING TO GET TO A PART REAL SOON AND HAVE TO STOP.

Caps on :p

As long as I've played, since age eight to the present-10 years later, I've been in private drum lessons. With an instrument as physically demanding as the drums, getting lessons is not simply important in terms of warding against "plateauing" so to speak, but to insure that what you do, you do correctly. If one develops poor technique from the onset, it can take immesurable amounts of time to progress as one has to first relearn the most basic aspects of the instrument. Ive seen this happen far too many times for comfort.