Votes: 31 50.8%
  • Kirk Hammett/James Hetfield

Votes: 30 49.2%

• Total voters

Hammer of Might

New Metal Member
Jul 25, 2003
London, England
I've been having an argument, who writes better riffs Dave Mustaine or Metallica (ie. Kirk and James I presume).

And yes, I know Mustaine wrote some Metallica stuff of course.

Who writes better riffs?

GIVE EXAMPLES.

Megadeth's riffs never interested me at all, with a couple of exceptions. I'm not sure which ones Mustaine wrote for Metallica, though. I have to go for the band whose riffs I like the most, and that's Metallica.

Ah, examples. Well if we're talking riffs alone, I think quite a few of the ones on ...And Justice For All could have been developed into something good, but they pretty much buried each and every one into the ground for the sake of making it 'epic'. Unfortunately 'epic' isn't synonymous with 'long', sorry Lars. Plus the production sucks.

So many Metallica riffs bore me to death, can't even be called riffs a lot of the time, just chug chug chug open string! chug chug...with numerous exceptions of course.

Mustaine's riffs just seem to flow way more thoughtfully with a better ear for melody as well as aggression, in my opinion. Metallica's are just lame a lot of the time.

Megadeth were certainly technically better. I prefer Metallica's melodies, myself, mainly because Megadeth's strayed more towards traditional metal (I know Metallica also did, but certainly less so), which is less favoured by me.

Note that I think Metallica peaked at MOP.

I tend to prefer Megadeth's brand of riffage. They're more headbang-friendly, and technicaly better structured.

I agree with GoD that Metallica peaked on MOP. My personal fave is RTL.

Mustaine pwns Hetfield/Hammett, though.

Good thread.

Don't need to know theory to write songs, it'd be often be better but yeah.
I seem to like Metallica's stuff better because I really couldn't stand Mustaine's voice but Megadeth's riffs are technically more superior while Metallica seemed to have catchier riffs. So therefore...
Mustaine's riffs > Hetfield...

Both have some great riffs, Some Megadeth ones rock any Metallica one, but some Metallica ones are brilliant, and fit the song perfectly. I don't look for technical brilliance, I don't see the point, I look out for a riff that fits the mood and atmosphere of the song, Metallica seem to pull that off pretty well in some of the old stuff, and who can forget No Remorse, I love the riffs in that song.

My vote is going to Metallica, although it was hard to choose.

I've always found Megadeth's riffs to be boring as shit. I may be partial here, seeing how I'm a big Metallica fan, but their riffs just seem more interesting to me. Especially their instrumentals (Call of Ktulu, Orion and To Live is to Die (Yes, I count that as an instrumental)).

And theory doesn't make good music. Just look at Dream Theater.

xxChaoticManifestoxx said:
I seem to like Metallica's stuff better because I really couldn't stand Mustaine's voice but Megadeth's riffs are technically more superior while Metallica seemed to have catchier riffs. So therefore...
Mustaine's riffs > Hetfield...

I pretty much agree with him...