Mustis and Vortex have left Dimmu Borgir

Dec 28, 2005
Mustis (keyboards; real name: Øyvind Mustaparta) and ICS Vortex (clean vocals, bass; real name: Simen Hestnæs) are no longer members of the Norwegian symphonic black metal band DIMMU BORGIR, according to a posting on Mustis' MySpace page. Both Mustis and Vortex were apparently either fired or had no other choice than to leave the group after years of disagreements. No further details are currently available, but it should be rather telling that Mustis has set the "mood indicator" on his MySpace page to "betrayed."

An official statement on the matter from DIMMU BORGIR is expected to be released shortly.

from blabbermouth.

maybe mustis will form his own band (since he was doing all synth/key/orchestra work anyway), vortex goes back to borknagar (or arcturus reforms) and maybe galder will be next and fully concentrate on OMC

.. Kicking Mustis out of Dimmu Borgir? Why not just kill the band immediately?

:lol: @ being fired via text message :lol: The part that really cracked me and had me laughing out loud was reading "He has changed his mood status on Myspace to betrayed". :lol: Holy crap thats hilarious

Damn...my girlfriend will be very dissappointed. I know for sure Mustis is her favourite from the band and I think Vortex was second. Good thing we went to their concert here in Bulgaria (last show from their tour), she'd been waiting for them to come for almost 10 years, now at least she has seen them live.

I think kicking out Mustis is a great move! It was Nagash that wrote most of the older keyboards parts around darkness enthroned and SBD, Mustis kinda took over after Nagash left and the albums have just gotten worse and worse since! so this is great news, but Vortex?
if this is true then that is a great loss but i aint seeing any statement from Vortex so hopefully it aint.
bring back Nagash!

The whole txt message thing is a bit shaddy and im almost certain they fired Nick Barker in the exact same fashion or so i heard back in the day.

I think kicking out Mustis is a great move! It was Nagash that wrote most of the older keyboards parts around darkness enthroned and SBD, Mustis kinda took over after Nagash left and the albums have just gotten worse and worse since! so this is great news, but Vortex?
if this is true then that is a great loss but i aint seeing any statement from Vortex so hopefully it aint.
bring back Nagash!

The whole txt message thing is a bit shaddy and im almost certain they fired Nick Barker in the exact same fashion or so i heard back in the day.

Mustis is a musical genius, end of discussion!
And as far as i know, it was Stian that wrote all those old keyboard stuff.. even though it was pure shit.

Yeah, Mustis and Vortex were the parts of the last few albums that *didn't* suck. The statement from Mustis looks pretty troubling... firing a guy over songwriting credit? If that's the way they're handling disputes over what is written, I don't think I'm going to be buying any more of their albums...

Jeff

Well, all those übercheesy bombastic orchestral/synth/keyboard parts made them unbearable for me in the first place.

Not denying that those two dudes were probably the best musicians in the band on a technically level, but I can't stand what either of them was doing.

Fatal blow for Dimmu? Maybe! Could I care less? Hardly.