muting string noise

topsoul182

Dec 18, 2009
What do you guys use to mute extra string noise for your guitars? I usually put tape on the strings they dont use on the first fret but that doesnt always work out

I notice it a lot when the bands i record do a palm mute and they let it ring out. and it cant be gated, or edited out cuz theres a note being held out

I use hair ties. A plastic one that looks like a phone cable which I put under 4 strings at a time when I need to, and a fabric one which I mute the 7th string with.

Bild001.jpg

;)

N00b question- but would you cut and mute DI tracks and THEN reamp for those mechanically tight chug palm mute grooves? I tried cutting after mutes with the mic'd cab, didn't ever turn out so great. Positive it's in the technique but curious if this has been done for terrible "guitarists"

I can't try and find out for myself atm since my Firestudio is STILL in Louisiana being "repaired" :/

Stabbin - Yeah, it's much easier to edit DIs than it is a fat, chunky waveform. I'll make the edit, and listen back with the amp sim on just to make sure I didn't cut too much off.

i tried it today and i put tape on the DGBE strings instead of only GBE strings and it made the difference, i took a piece of masking tape and wrapped it around the D string and pulled it down around the neck

n00b question: how do you no when there is string noise? (i don't play guitar) and if you "tape" off the strings, how hard do you wrap around? if to hard won't the tunning change?

n00b question: how do you no when there is string noise? (i don't play guitar) and if you "tape" off the strings, how hard do you wrap around? if to hard won't the tunning change?

It'll be obvious when the guitar track is solo'd. Any sort of chugging or rhythmic playing ..... I notice I like to fan my fingers out on my picking hand, and sometimes they hit the higher strings causing unwanted noise...also with the fretting hand. Start hearing this and start working on the guitarists performance.

As long as the strings are taped or wrapped so they dont ring you are fine. Won't effect the tuning unless you go way too tight.