circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
MXD – Frustration Is Fuel
Equilibre Music – EM006 – 2005
By Jason Jordan

mxd_cov2_mid.jpg

Millions of people know how to use a keyboard. Hell, I know how. All you got to do is put the plug into a wall socket, and then hit a button. After that, you’re free to create as many strings of “boop boop boop” as you want. The challenge – with any style of music, really – is making something that no one else ever has, being content with your creation, and being glorified as a result of invention. Frustration Is Fuel is a compendium of dance/industrial/electronica whose feet fit comfortably within the larger footprints of the albums that arrived in the ‘90s. Drawing from the likes of The Chemical Brothers, Rammstein, and Circle of Dust, the Swiss MXD just don’t stack up against their predecessors.

Since he’s the resident expert as far as this style is concerned, Russell would be able to shed much more light than I could on where exactly this fits in with the rest of the scene. Still, I’d like to think that I know good music when I hear it, and Frustration Is Fuel will get the blood pumping, though it’s seldom good for much else. Perhaps they set off on the wrong foot because “Roxygen” seems like it’d be featured on some sort of club mix, most of which deserve ridicule. However, at about the 1:20 minute mark, the vocal-free effects are wondrous. Sadly yet truthfully, one moment of brilliance doesn’t make up for several oversights. Depending on the gruffness of the vocalist, MXD sound akin to Rammstein or Circle of Dust; both comparisons are manifested on “B-Trial,” and are as out in the open as a sunbather. The harder compositions don’t lack total edge – relief! – but most of the material refused to entrance me. When I had any notable reactions, it’d usually be something like “That was kinda cool” or “That wasn’t bad” or “That was all right.” I’m not one who feigns interest. Nevertheless, “Megadrive” is fairly interesting, and could accompany a hyper, high-speed race between various sports cars. Remember how everything gets blurry and hazy, with the camera cutting back and forth among the racers? “Megadrive,” as its title implies, would be a good soundtrack to an occurrence such as the one outlined above. Above all, to dive back into the muck, there’s not enough spice in these 12 tracks to warrant a taste test, and this record projects weakness the more time passes.

Despite having numerous “manifestos” under their belt, MXD have a long road to hoe if they want to entice listeners with this brand of industrial/electronica. There were a few instances where I saw and felt direct inspiration, but those didn’t appear nearly enough. I suspect I’ll have to hunt elsewhere. I guess Frustration Is Fuel is both a fitting and accurate title, though, because my frustration with this release fueled me to search for other things, hoping one of them will satisfy me better than this did.

3.5/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Official MXD Website
Official Equilibre Music Website