My amp is sick!

Disconnekt

Aug 3, 2004
Cody, WY, USA
Well, my poor 5150 seems to be having a problem. It works fine for a while, but all of a sudden, without warning, it stops its normal operation and starts making this deafening hum (sounds like a ground loop cranked to 11 or something). I immediately turn off the amp, wait a little while, and then turn it back on, and it works fine for a while, and then does it again. I tried switching out all the tubes, and that doesn't help at all. Has anyone else run into this, or does anyone have any ideas what it might be? It's kind of hard to record when it blasts you with hum with no warning, not to mention the fact that it scares the shit out of me every time it does it. Also, I don't want to ruin the amp by continuing to use it if this problem might damage it further.

I have the same problem with my Line 6 Flextone II combo it just randomly goes to a loud static noise...its just a practice amp so Im not too worried but it scares the shit out of me when it happens as well.

I have the same problem with my Line 6 Flextone II combo it just randomly goes to a loud static noise...its just a practice amp so Im not too worried but it scares the shit out of me when it happens as well.

Definatly sounds like the output tranny. Usually gets messed up when you plug a cab with the wrong ohms into it, so I don't know how you could have done it on your combo.

The combos get fucked up when you plug a mono 1/4" into the STEREO headphone out. I've done it. It makes it fucking crackle right? I have a guitar tech/electrician friend, who loves working on the line 6 shit. There was some power amp CHIP that toasted. The part cost me $9. Line 6 won't send their parts to just anybody though, you have to be a licensed electrical wizard or some shit. It pays to have a friend, who is a wizard though, to fix shit.:heh: Yeah those line 6 amps, you can't take 'em out of your bedroom, they fall apart.:lol: