my attempt at the CLA sound (paramore cover).

Oct 10, 2009
saint louis
www.myspace.com
opinions on this mix? drums were recorded live. hand quantized straight to hell and then the shells were sample replaced. guitars and bass are the ol' podfarm though i'm hoping to reamp with my jcm 800 after i get some rest (i've seen two sunrises so far...fuuuck).

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3033847/BRICK 7-18-10 INST copy.mp3

holler.

EDIT: new mix w/ improved bass. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3033847/BRICK 7-18-10 INST MIX2 copy.mp3

File for your mixing enjoyment: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3033847/MJA Paramore Cover.zip

Im digging this. I think the bass needs to be mic'ed though. In the verses I can barely hear it, just the low-end, you can get a similar tone to what CLA got REALLY easily if you have a good amp and cab. Rest of the mix seems cool, I just dont like how the hihat doesnt seem focused anywhere, its bleeding throughout the whole stereo field at equal volume

sounds good man :D
the only thing is the bass , you cant hear it that much and it pops too much .. should be solid :)

any chance we get DI and wavs ? I want to try it too :)

i think this sounds super solid, all the tones are nice and produced quite well. maybe boost the low end a bit like Sptz was referring to and youll be good to go.

thanks guys. i definitely agree about the bass. unfortunately i don't have any actual bass amps in my studio yet.

i'll upload the raw tracks if there's enough interest (live overhead & snare tracks, midi of the drum shells and guitar / bass DI). let me know if a bunch of you would want this.

i just uploaded a new mix. i got the bass to sit a little better. the snare is a blend of slate custom / snare 20 and the real snare on the kit (dw).

also uploading the raw tracks, i've never exported a session like this so hopefully nothing is fucked up. it's like 230 mb.

matt

the snare and kick sound "too metal" for this... lessen some of the highend of the both and bring in some more body to the snare (probably around the area of 200hz) and it'll be more awesome...

It doesn't sound bad at all, btw... just some thoughts... I also didn't listen to the original to compare yet, but that is just something I would personally do.

the snare and kick sound "too metal" for this... lessen some of the highend of the both and bring in some more body to the snare (probably around the area of 200hz) and it'll be more awesome...

It doesn't sound bad at all, btw... just some thoughts... I also didn't listen to the original to compare yet, but that is just something I would personally do.

agreed. i've been at war with the kick since i started.

Sounds cool. The snare kinda bothered me with the top end and lack of body, the gtrs sound great though. I like the toms, did you dial back the high end to get them to sit back like that? I'm assuming you didn't mic the hh? It sounds rly centred. The snr roll right at the end could do with some humanization but otherwise I rly dug it dude.

i just uploaded a new mix. i got the bass to sit a little better. the snare is a blend of slate custom / snare 20 and the real snare on the kit (dw).

also uploading the raw tracks, i've never exported a session like this so hopefully nothing is fucked up. it's like 230 mb.

matt

you exported it good expect the base drum... can you export the base drum track ? :D

and btw what did you used for the guitars ? they sound so amazing

having just listened to the whole album earlier, i'm quite surprised as to how close you've got to the album tone..

sometimes it just sounds like the album version minus the vocals, you've done some good work here.

what amp model is this, on podfarm, if you don't mind me asking?

thanks,

hey guys. thanks for listening. the rhythm guitars are podfarm's plexi jump lead model with a impulse from a 1960a cab. compressed with an 1176. i'll upload my patch later tonight if you guys want to play around with it. honestly, most of the tone is coming from my telecaster (duncan jb in the bridge). that pickup is super bright.

this sounds great, now apply this drum sound to any melodic hardcore bands out there also get on aim and tell me wtf those samples where

seems to me there is too much high end energy in the hats, cymbals and snare and kick...well the whole kit. kinda fatiguing. but other than that really good. Also you may want to consider putting a rhythm guitar track right down the middle and lower in volume because the rhythm guitars as they are collapse a lot in mono--something CLA's mixes don't do in mono. Amp SIMs seem to exaggerate this issue IMO.