My back hurts like shit!!

RINGFINGER

Feb 11, 2002
South Africa
Visit site
Whoops I never knew that shit actually hurts, maybe it's because of al the acid build up. Never mind the bollocks!!

Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone on the message board has scoliosis or kyphosis or lordosis (All conditions of the spine)

I've got scoliosis ( sideways curvature of the spine) and I've had it for about three years now and I'm just about sick of the pain that I get with it. It never fuckin' stops. Anyway I heard that kids in America are tested physically in school to see if they have scoliosis and then if they are tested positive they are treated. In my country there are no tests and there isn't much education of scoliosis out there. But I thought maybe in other countries there would be more knowledge of the subject. So I was hoping that someone could help me and tell me how one goes about treating scoliosis.

Thanks very much to all of you!! :)

Yeah, we got tested every year, in grade school we had to go to the nurse's office and in high school the gym teachers did it in the locker room. They make you take your shirt off bend over slightly while they look at your spine closely (or so they say). I always thought it was stupid because no one I knew ever had it, but they always acted like it was life and death stuff, so everyone just went along with it. If I'm not mistaken, only the girls got checked. At my school anyway, don't know about everywhere else. We also got lectured about drinking milk and taking calcium. Have you tried WebMD?? They're usually pretty good, that's where I find a lot of info when my relatives get sick. The only treatment I know of is having to wear a rather uncomfortable looking brace. Hope this helps!!

Oh yes a brace I've heard of that one too. So far I've been to about four different doctors and they each have something different to say. This was scary knowing that that they all did'nt really know how to answer me. At the moment I've been seeing a chiropractor who says he can fix my back it will take him two years. Is he lying?? Is he trying to get all my mom's money?? If he is I'll sue the pants off him. Thanks for the support Brat. Oh and by the way maybe the bending over thing was an excuse for looking at girls bottoms! Well, the reason that girls only got looked at is because more girls get scoliosis than boys do. Apparently 1 out of every 100 people get scoliosis, I'm scared because every doctor says that it gets worse and worse and worse until your spine is bent at an angle of up to 80 degrees! I have two curves, in the thoracic region which are both at about 30 degrees. That's not too bad, but once it gets to 45 degrees on battles to breathe properly, the heart takes a beating somehow and all the bodily organs are out of alignment. Fuck this gets me worried just thinking about it!

The chiropractor taking 2 years probably isn't bullshit, because most people that DO have to wear the brace need it for 3-4 years, from what I understand. You scare me Ringfinger, as the only ones allowed to check the girls were the female nurses and gym teachers...ICK!!!! It IS kind of scary that four different doctors all can't agree with each other. Most doctors I've had to deal with have their heads up their asses, but at least they all agree with each other!! LOL And 1 in 100, that seems like a high number, wonder why it isn't more heard of. Hmmm...

Maybe I should try playing with myself with both hands instead of one, this will stop any imbalances!!

By the way that webMD kicks butt it's got tons of solutions and reasons for scoliosis and everything!!! Wow.
Oh and by the way my chiropractor thinks that a lot of spinal deformities are caused by imbalances. Like for example walking funny, working the muscles of one side of the body too much ( hold on, isn't that in a lot of sport, tennis, squash, soccer, badminton, bowling, the list goes on), and yes also crossing the legs supposedly tilts the pelvis and eventually causes your spine to curve. But Brat I would advise you to still cross yor legs when wearing a mini skirt. I cross my legs when waring a skirt so that my chewing gum is well hidden!

Originally posted by bRaTpRiNcEsS
Yeah, we got tested every year, in grade school we had to go to the nurse's office and in high school the gym teachers did it in the locker room. They make you take your shirt off bend over slightly while they look at your spine closely (or so they say). I always thought it was stupid because no one I knew ever had it, but they always acted like it was life and death stuff, so everyone just went along with it. If I'm not mistaken, only the girls got checked. At my school anyway, don't know about everywhere else. We also got lectured about drinking milk and taking calcium. Have you tried WebMD?? They're usually pretty good, that's where I find a lot of info when my relatives get sick. The only treatment I know of is having to wear a rather uncomfortable looking brace. Hope this helps!!

No, both males and females have to, I'm fairly sure. And I do know one person that did turn out to have it...

I have scoliosis too. It's not that bad, in my case. My back hardly ever hurts unless I sleep on it wrong or something, then it hurts all day.
RINGFINGER, keep your wallet in your front pants pocket. Never put your wallet in your back pocket and sit down. That is bad for your back. Also, lift with your knees, you've probably heard that one.
Some people think that chiropractors are full of shit, but they aren't. Keep seeing your chiropractor if you can. I went to one for a couple years--but I still have scoliosis. I don't know if they can cure it, but they can help.
I think more than 1/100 people have it, they just don't know it...

Yeah your actually right Thraxdude, there's more people than 1/100 with scoliosis. I checked it out on webMD. I spoke to some other physio at my gym and she says that about 90 percent of people have scoliosis but just very mild. The question is whether that mild curve will develop into a really large one. Thraxdude I reccommend you check out webmd.com it's pretty cool. Thanks to Brat for giving me that one! Oh and Thraxdude here are some tips for you my bro.....

1. My chiropractor says that crossing the legs tits the pelvis and ends up curving the spine. Is this why more girls have scoliosis than guys? It sounds pretty convincing.
2. Don't cross your legs at your ankles when your standing or sitting.
3. Don't lean on one leg when standing, rather try and distibute the body weight on both of your legs.
4. Do some back exercises at the gym, after your workout your back feels great and so do you, which is kind of weird that I say this because your back is you I guess.
5.Watch the way you walk, check that you don't drag your one foot to the side or anyhting weird. My chiropractor asked me to walk in front of him and he said I was moving my right foot out to the side. Does this maybe cause scoliosis.
6. Wank with both hands, it creates balance.
7. Wipe your ass with both hands. This is difficult but also lots of fun.

Well, Thraxdude I just want to say keep the faith and ignore what those fucking ignorant doctors say. Whoops their not assholes or anything but some of tem sure have their facts all wrong! You can stop your scoliosis no matter what ideas they may have on what causes it or what fixes it.
Keep well Thraxdude, all the best!! Stand straight and proud!

What else have you done for your back thraxdude and what's the dgree of your curve? Do you have two curves like me? Did you ever think about going for an operation?? Why didn't the chiropractor fix your back?

Thanks for the tips, RINGFINGER.
My scoliosis is kind of like an ! that wants to be a ? .
It's not that bad. The chiropractor didn't fix it because I moved and haven't seen a chiropractor for years.
My mommy suggested surgery and I said, "Fuck that." The way I see it: my back doesn't bother me too much, so I'll just be careful and follow your tips.
Especially tip #6!

both boys and girls where checked at my school. once a nurse even thought I might have it but I had been to a proffessio9nal doctor a week before for a physical for a high adventure boy scout trip. But now I doubt him now because I have constant pain in my back and I stoop a little.
RINGFINGER, one of my best friends Jana (my female prototype)
has scholiosis, realy bad too. You can't tell by looking at her till she walks, but her waist is tilted slightly. So she's has to go to a chiropractor once a month. That would deffinately be the best bet.
she's not getting worse. I'm not sure if you'll ever get to where you can stop going. Good luck man
-Jono-

I'm just hoping I can kick this scoliosis in the ass and start drumming again! I can't play the drums for 5 minutes without my back being in agony. The reason it urts so much while drumming is because when you drum you have to sit straight and control your posture and not try and click your back in the middle of doing a drum roll if you know what I mean. Thank you Jono for the kind words and tell your friend Jana that I wish her only the best!!