My bands latest release (Alaskan death metal/mastered by Jens Bogren)

dude, you've done an epic job on this. Pink Floyd and Mastodon vibes in the breakdown when you go 6/8 then swing time - respect. Could you PM me how much you spent on the mastering if possible? Also, could you give us a rundown on the guitars?

Did you pillage the DevilDriver kick from the Rock Band file? And if the answer is "Errr, no, I don't really know what the kick is, I found it online", then that means you're using it.

Did you pillage the DevilDriver kick from the Rock Band file? And if the answer is "Errr, no, I don't really know what the kick is, I found it online", then that means you're using it.

What a shame, i'm using that kick a lot lately, guess i'm a not as unique as I thought:confused:

nice mix, i like it.

ImageDoubleFacepalmRickerPicard.jpg

Yep, its in there but not by itself and yeah im not happy i had to go that route with the kicks but it just sounded the best at the time. You got good ears man. I'd like to think Picard would dig it, not sure about Riker though.

The facepalm wasn't because I didn't catch the irony, it was because people jack Andy's samples and think nothing of it, which has always irritated me.

The facepalm wasn't because I didn't catch the irony, it was because people jack Andy's samples and think nothing of it, which has always irritated me.

I don't know what is the problem...on one hand, a kick sample is not going to give you some kind of magic key to get a good sound, I don't think anyone uses any kind of sample without the proper processing and blending depending the context in which it is being used...

On the other hand, I find this kinda ilustrating...

Andy, would you ever sue someone if you found out they used your samples from this forum in a major commercial release?
no not at all, be nice to hear it actually.

But hey, this thread is about another thing, so let's move on

Rockchops, you're taking that quote from Andy out of context, paladin was asking about the samples that Andy had willingly uploaded to the forum for use...there is a huge difference between that, and using samples ripped straight from the individual tracks of a mix he did, which was never supposed to be dissected and accessed publicly.

And of course using another person's samples won't make a bad mix sound good, but it's the principle I don't like, especially when we're talking about ill-obtained Rock Band samples. People pay Andy a lot of money to mix their records (rightfully so), and undoubtedly a significant part of that is his drum sound. Sure, a few stolen samples used on other people's projects isn't going to undermine Andy's status as a mixer, but it still is very irritating to me that people feel like they have the right to use his work like that. I love his drum sounds as much as anyone else, but I also respect that his samples belong to him, and I can't just go using them and taking credit for a mix that I might put them into. I don't know if Andy was pissed when he learned about the Rock Band files being hacked open and made freely available on the internet, but if I were in his position, I sure would have been. Maybe by now he's just over it, but I still think that any upstanding engineer should let his samples be.

Rockchops, you're taking that quote from Andy out of context, paladin was asking about the samples that Andy had willingly uploaded to the forum for use...there is a huge difference between that, and using samples ripped straight from the individual tracks of a mix he did, which was never supposed to be dissected and accessed publicly.

And of course using another person's samples won't make a bad mix sound good, but it's the principle I don't like, especially when we're talking about ill-obtained Rock Band samples. People pay Andy a lot of money to mix their records (rightfully so), and undoubtedly a significant part of that is his drum sound. Sure, a few stolen samples used on other people's projects isn't going to undermine Andy's status as a mixer, but it still is very irritating to me that people feel like they have the right to use his work like that. I love his drum sounds as much as anyone else, but I also respect that his samples belong to him, and I can't just go using them and taking credit for a mix that I might put them into. I don't know if Andy was pissed when he learned about the Rock Band files being hacked open and made freely available on the internet, but if I were in his position, I sure would have been. Maybe by now he's just over it, but I still think that any upstanding engineer should let his samples be.

Very valid. I agree with you 100%.

to my ears the vocals get a little buried in the mix,
but i dont wanna be too picky here, so - good job!

I can't agree more

People pay Andy a lot of money to mix their records (rightfully so), and undoubtedly a significant part of that is his drum sound. Sure, a few stolen samples used on other people's projects isn't going to undermine Andy's status as a mixer, but it still is very irritating to me that people feel like they have the right to use his work like that.

Aaron you know that even Andy stole some pantera Kick? do you know it? because even Andy told something about pantera kicks.
I guess if you steal a kick won't piss Andy off.