My best work so far (Kemper, real drums, ...)

ecz

Feb 16, 2011
Frankfurt/Main Germany
Check out this video where you can get some insights of the recording process of the EP I produced for a german metalcore band called Awake The Mutes. If you look closely you can see me micing guitar amps and other stuff :) Don't take the video too seriously though ;)
I'm quite happy how it turned out, let me know how you think it sounds and feel free to ask anything about the recording process :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2JXHLwi9e4

Everything seems to be balanced except the kick drum, sounds a bit too punchy and boomy (and that pumping that it's causing in bus compression just emphasises the problem further)... But overall - nice job :)

I do agree that the bass drum does sound a bit too punchy. sometimes it chokes the mix, if you know what i'm getting at. Also, the vocals sound a little choked as well. like they were gated a little too hard. not sure if that's the case, but that's what it sounds like to me. Otherwise, very good job. Well balanced, as previously mentioned. and the guitars sound great.

sounds pretty good man!
reminds me a bit of PWD.

OT:
the video is pretty "bad" imho, everything that seems spontaneous in similar videos looks pretty much arranged in this one,
especially the guys face expressions. it just has this "acting" instead of "hangin' in the studio" vibe :)

Nice! Pretty good sound all round I think. I had a video of the singer from Warpath squatting Suffocation's Derek Boyer haha That bit in the video reminded me of that.

Everything seems to be balanced except the kick drum, sounds a bit too punchy and boomy (and that pumping that it's causing in bus compression just emphasises the problem further)... But overall - nice job :)

I do agree that the bass drum does sound a bit too punchy. sometimes it chokes the mix, if you know what i'm getting at. Also, the vocals sound a little choked as well. like they were gated a little too hard. not sure if that's the case, but that's what it sounds like to me. Otherwise, very good job. Well balanced, as previously mentioned. and the guitars sound great.

Well I like punchy kick drums :) The pumping was kind of intended, I really slammed the drum bus + their is some sidechaining on the subs of the bass guitar. Actually I like how it sounds but maybe I've overdone it a little bit and I will keep it in mind for my next productions. Thanks for your feedback!

On the vocals there clearly isn't a gate and I don't really get what you mean by "choked"?

Would you be willing to share your kpas?

Actually not, I'm sorry, but here are some information that will get you a similar sound: It was quad tracked with two different profiles. The main sound (louder in the mix) is a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier into an Orange Cab (SM57 + MD421), the second one is a 5150 into a Mesa Boogie Cab (SM57 + MD421). You will find similar profiles to my own in the database (5150 try Lasse's stuff, Rectifer I like Till's profiles). But there is also a lot of automation going on (single note riffs that require more definition I backed up the 3rd and 4th guitar etc.)

sounds pretty good man!
reminds me a bit of PWD.

OT:
the video is pretty "bad" imho, everything that seems spontaneous in similar videos looks pretty much arranged in this one,
especially the guys face expressions. it just has this "acting" instead of "hangin' in the studio" vibe :)

I can understand what you mean but if you'd knew these guys you'd probably understand better what the point of this video was. They don't like bands that take themselves too seriously and some of the stuff in there is clearly meant to be ironic and there are a lot of "inside jokes" in there that are hard to get if you don't know these people. I don't actually think something in there was arranged, maybe like "do this again so I can film it" at best . Some stuff in there I didn't actually remember to be filmed. Surely all the recording stuff was "faked" after the actual recording so maybe they "overacted" on some cases.
By the way here's a similar video from their last EP I produced last year but if you don't like this video you probably won't like this one either :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2JXHLwi9e4