"my compulsion to eat odd things" - a short essay by Mia M.

mia, one day you're gonna be the girl who eats a whole bicycle for the guiness book of world records, or something.

i don't think chicken hearts are that weird. i get them at a churrasco place when we go...

i'll try most anything once, but i think that rotting swedish fish is beyond my ken.

the weirdest thing i eat regularly is peanut butter and bacon sandwiches. i don't know if Toby or myself has posted about them before, but they're really quite good even though they sound disgusting, and i have forced several roommates to try them only to see a look of surprise come over their faces with the remark "Wow...that's really very good!"

ugh. for some reason i think everything tastes worse in the microwave. like you know when you're defrosting chicken and the edge gets a little cooked? grossest thing EVER.

re: the monkey thing, if you have ever seen FACES OF DEATH, there's a scene where they show a dinner party trying this delicacy fr the first time.

Only instead of slicing the monkey head, they have little mallets which they use to whack the monkey's head while he spins around frantically shrieking!

This is pretty horrifying, if you put yourself in the monkey's shoes, but the really amusing thing about the footage is the dinner party - they're 2 50-something couples who are instructed by the waiter on what to do, are each handed a little mallet, eye each other nervously and then in a very foppish manner lightly tap the monkey on the head while looking uncomfortable!

After a few light taps, the monkey is all screaming and panicky, and then one of the men (he has a big black mustache) finds his gumption and leans into it a little more. Thye monkey is not happy about this.

It's kind of a bummer that right after they show the mustachioed fiend with his fucking eyebrows pointed towards the middle of his nose nail this tiny monkey's cranium with a doctor's reflexatory mallet, there's a cut, and the next shot is of the monkey dead. I mean, we didn;t get to see it die!

It would have been cool to see the fatal blow, especially if it was dealt by a nauseous, pearl-wearing, white-gloved Agnes. :(

yeah, that scene is a total cultural metaphor for middle-class white liberals' interactions with each other, other countries, crime...

bleh, wait, I'M a middle-class white liberal!