My Cover of To Bid You Farewell

MancuZ28

New Metal Member
Apr 27, 2004
I decided to do a little cover of one of my favorite Opeth songs, To Bid You Farewell. I recorded all the guitars and did all the mixing, along with the drum programming...Vocals courtesy of Waz, from the Metallicabb.com forums...thanks alot man, they are awesome as usual!!!

Only major change from the original song was the omission of about 1:30 of the middle of the song which is mostly bass...woulda been kinda pointless since i just have crappy midi bass lol...

Anyway please tell me what you guys think of it!!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=376557&T=6097

You must be a member of acidplanet to download the song, but anyone can stream it (click play) so please give it a listen.

P.S., yeah i know im a total newbie to the forum :loco:

Amazing job man, that's up there with the best opeth covers ever posted here. I think it might be a close second to shard's The Drapery Falls... :p I'm kidding, this is amazing, congratulations. AMAZING!!!!

Not bad at all. Its funny to hear a cover of this song, for it really makes you realize how superb the bass was on this album...when its not there anymore. But all in all, i enjoyed listening to your cover, i give it 3.5/5

haha yeah...i was really disappointed that i couldnt find someone to do bass for me, i agree its just not the same without it, plus i dont think the midi is even correct in alot of places.

Thanks for the replies guys, keep em comin.

to bad the midibass is a bit shaggy! I could pherhaps do it. i'm a guitarist, but I got a bassrigg lying around at home. Also I'm pretty much into doing an opeth cover of my own sometime.

Nice gutiar playing on this one.

hey lobster it would be awesome if you could do bass! If you think you can do a decent job and you have the time, just go ahead and record over my cover and send me your bass file over ICQ or something. Are you experienced with recording to PC? I can help ya out if your not.

Very nice. Looking forward to hearing a version with bass. Excellent guitar and vocals. Nice production for what you worked with. What was your gear?

Dreadful said:
I listened to it again...it is now a 799, 700.3

yeah, i thought your original rating was a bit low...this one seems more reasonable, thanks for adjusting it :worship:

Rejvk said:
Very nice. Looking forward to hearing a version with bass. Excellent guitar and vocals. Nice production for what you worked with. What was your gear?

For the acoustic parts, I used my Dad's old classical nylong string acoustic...its pretty ancient but still sounds nice...i think its made by Sigma. To record that i just use a $20 PC mic i got from radioshack.

Electrics were done using line-in recording with a Behringer V-Amp2...I spent quite a bit of time messing around with the settings to get it to sound as close as i could.

My guitar is a Epiphone Les Paul Special II...pretty cheap, but not bad either.

I use Adobe Audition for mixing, noise-reduction, and EQing.