my Dragon*Con programming expands

Ruthven

Sep 13, 2003
Earlier this evening I got confirmation that the Gothic Shadows track will be expanding into two rooms. I have been talking about this with my superiors for the past few months, but until recently they were not certain if it would be feasible.

As of now, the track is still titled "Gothic Shadows." However, I have requested a name change. I have long wanted a name change since much of the old track was devoted to horror and dark fantasy entertainment (think "gothic" in the literary sense of the term, and the derivations thereof), and now hopefully it'll happen. One of the rooms will be devoted to horror entertainment. The other room will feature paranormal romantic fantasy programming early in the day, followed by dark culture and music-related programming in the afternoon and evening.

The rooms will be adjacent to one another (final location to be determined), with programming running simultaneously. While this will mean attendees will have to make decisions, hopefully the set-up will keep too-similar programming from competing against each another.

I'm personally excited about this. It will be a lot of work, but I think it will be rewarding to get a project of this size up and running. This is Dragon*Con's first attempt at dedicated horror programming, so I hope it proves successful.

For those keeping count...

My Dragon*Con track has undergone a name change in addition to the upgrade! Beginning in 2008, this track will be known as "Dark Fantasy." This is a change I have been wanting for quite some time.

While I have always seen the term "gothic" as representing the entire dark entertainment spectrum, for good or ill people associate it with "goth." And while I have had (and will continue to have) programming that appeals to goths, I wanted a track name that was more inclusive.

So when my supervisor told me that I was getting two rooms this year, I felt it was time to pitch the name "Dark Fantasy." As a term, "dark fantasy" includes not just supernatural horror, but also the current wave of dark urban fantasy. But above all, it's just a term that I like and am comfortable using.

This does not mean I will be getting rid of "goth" programming; one of the rooms will feature dark music and subculture related panels from mid-afternoon to close. On the other hand, if a good horror-themed band from another genre comes to DragonCon, it will be easier to schedule them for a panel under the new track name. I am glad to be widening the overall scope of the track, and hopefully gain some attendees along the way.