my drummer is dumb when it comes to theory

ive been playing guitar for 20 years now and i must be strange cuz 4/4 is not natural to me at all. i can play it. but anything i write is never in 4/4.ive had so many problems with drummers.ive tried to become a 4/4 guy but i just cant and ive tried.i dont know why even when i think its 4/4 its something else my go figure.my solution was to find a drummer to school.weve been playing 4 about 4 months and are doing great. he only had 5 years exp. when i met him and kinda sucked but i live in the desert now and he was all i could find.hes catching quite well now

Time signatures are not all that important, not in metal anyway. Unless you are going prog rock I wouldn't sweat it really. Anything is usually 3 4 or 4 4 in music, those that aren't are usually just a pain in the ass to play and frankly awkward I think. If you have a hard time writing 4 4 stuff but not with other meters, what a complex mind you must have.

If you really want to illustrate your point about theory try asking your drummer to accompany some Cynic or something. There's a lot of odd time sigs in there but it is still really full on metal. The drummer's name is Sean Reinert, he is the daddy. He also played on the Death album, Human ( I think the dude was only about 18 years old when it was recorded). I've been playing for about 11 years and am really into odd shit and this guy makes me want to puke into my stick bag and take up the maraccas

To say that time sigs aren't important to metal bands is a bit like saying that sweep picking has no place outside of prog bands. The only people that really think that are the ones who can't be bothered to learn. The theory behind time signitures really isn't hard to figure out, I think your drummer would be able to master the idea pretty quickly if you could only persuade him that it is worth the effort. knowing theory really won't hamper his creativity, in fact the more theory you know, the more creative you can be because you have the freedom to express yourself in so many more ways. (How many different ways can you play 4/4 anyway?)