people who dont know any theory piss me off

Id like to discuss more the flame...
I agree Schoenberg can be random for the sake of it. Im not going to argue you with you and say I listen to the stuff all day, but I can appreciate its originallity. I should rephrase some of my original spiel. I was thinking more along the lines of unresolving dissonant structures. The music of Bartok Im mainly referring to. In doesn't really seem to adhere to most of the rules set by voice leading and tonal resolution. Sometimes it seems like our tonal system is a little limiting, and has been exhausted to its limits. Im not saying add more and go into middle eastern scales with quarter tones though. Id like to find a more unexplored method and still have tonal centers. Jazz did this by constantly modulating. What else is there? How can music in a comprehendable tonal sense remain interesting?

MOTN: You seem like you may know something about music and classical as well. If so how late does your classical tastes go? You seem to dislike 20th century. What about Chopin and the romantic era? Is chromaticism too elite for you? Say something more of some of the composers i've mentioned in previous posts.

Its good to know a bit of theory about modes and such but demanding everyone knowing how to play a diminished 3rd. Let people to what they do. Its all about being creative and doing your own style isnt it?

Iced In Flames said:
Its good to know a bit of theory about modes and such but demanding everyone knowing how to play a diminished 3rd. Let people to what they do. Its all about being creative and doing your own style isnt it?

No i was more pulling my hair out because of the fact he had no clue where any notes on the neck were. I told him what letter note to play and he had no idea. He told me he didnt know any of the string names aside from the A, and both E strings. Its pretty amazing that a guy can learn to sweep pick and not even know the names of the strings.

Steve Harris of Iron Maiden cant read music man. Its just something ya have to learn. Actually I had a hard time learning the notes. I was in band in school and I played Trombone for 6 years then I started bass. So for like 11 years I was reading bass clef, so it was a real pain for me to switch over to treble. And some people just learn things at a slower pace. Like people say they cant learn on guitar and I really cant understand why. I'm like you when peple rely on tabs to learn songs. Sit down and learn a song by ear and have some pride. It pisses me off when people learn a song in 20 minutes with a tab then the next day they cant remember how the song when and it sounds like a robot is playing it.

I KNO NO MUISC THOEYR AT ALLL I DONTT NEEED IT IM SO TALENTED I DO ALL BY EER BECUZ IM FUKKING GOOD, IT BECUMS MY OWN SOUND I NEEED NO SCEILZ TO HLEP ME WRITE SHITT ALREDY WRITTTEN BEFORE, I GET UNiEQUE SOuNDZ, I HAVE SOUUUL UNLIEK PETRUCCIIII:)

See, none of this pisses me off. I don't care if some guy doesn't know theory. It doesn't affect me because I wouldn't work with someone who doesn't at least know the notes on the neck. And that's about all I know. I understand theory and whatnot, but if you tell me to play the 3rd or the 7th in whatever key, I'll have to look it up. It's not drilled into my memory banks yet.

Same here. My other guitarist isn't the most efficient at theory while I seem to know the most(which isn't very much) Just enough to get by harmonizing, solo over, the modal system, diminished etc. Just not freaky stuff that Petrucci knows. My other guitarist harmonizes things by ear and they still sound amazing, he also comes up with some of the best riffs I've heard.

Iced In Flames said:
Steve Harris of Iron Maiden cant read music man. Its just something ya have to learn. Actually I had a hard time learning the notes. I was in band in school and I played Trombone for 6 years then I started bass. So for like 11 years I was reading bass clef, so it was a real pain for me to switch over to treble. And some people just learn things at a slower pace. Like people say they cant learn on guitar and I really cant understand why. I'm like you when peple rely on tabs to learn songs. Sit down and learn a song by ear and have some pride. It pisses me off when people learn a song in 20 minutes with a tab then the next day they cant remember how the song when and it sounds like a robot is playing it.

Im not even talking about reading music, im talking about something basic like knowing the name of the third string from the bottom is a G. I may know theory amazingly well, but i cant read music in time at all. I guess i'm just even more bitter at the world than i originally thought

Actually what pisses me off are people (non-musicians usually) who judge skill level by what songs you can play. Classic example:

Dude-he can play crazy train can you?
Me-I don't want to play crazy train.
Dude-That's cuz you can't
Me-I play the songs I write.
Dude-Anybody can do that but not everybody can play crazy train.
Me-Ok.

Now that's annoying. But I also believe that you should at least know the what notes you are playing.

But isnt reading music the second thing you SHOULD learn most of the time? Hmm?

whenever I'm at Guitar Center I ALWAYS here the intro to Crazy Train. No one plays the rest of the song because it doesnt sound as cool supposedly. I hear lots of System of a Dick too.

Iced In Flames said:
But isnt reading music the second thing you SHOULD learn most of the time? Hmm?

In my opinion, what is the point in being able to read music if it means nothing to you. If you dont actually know the theory of whats going on at the time, then its pointless. Its like my friend, he can read hebrew, but doesnt understand a word of it, so its just a waste for him to do it (but he has to at his temple, thats a different story though). Id rather use my knowledge of theory to write a seemless transition between two completely unrelated keys than be able to read music from other bands or musicians.

If you can read music you can play. You don't always need to know the theory behind it. Example, you are a classical tuba player who will never write a song. Why would you need to know theory? But, if you're a rock musician being able to read music is a non-issue. I mean, you're writing you own stuff anyway (or you should be) so why need to read. But it doesn't hurt. I can read the trebel cleff just fine but I haven't had to do it in about 12 years.

Wether you can play other peoples songs or not has nothing to do with theory or being able to read music. I have some theory and I can play some songs. I'm not the best technical player. I do not like Yngwie. I know the names of the notes on any given fret on any given string. I do not know all the scales. I can play some pretty good stuff. I am not a professional musician. I am not in a band, nor am I recording my own stuff. If I had the money and/or time I would be interested in doing some recording. I've been in bands before and am not really interested in one now, unless I could find the right people (which is damn unlikely around Charlotte, NC). I think it is good to be patient with other musicians and combine your talents if you are so interested, then you can make the most of what you have and appeal to more people, wether you play originals or covers. All I really can say is good luck and do not stop playing, no matter what. I'm going on 20 years.

It is great to learn theory, but when it comes to writing your own shit and you are more occupied with theory than the material, that fucking blows, me I know a moderate amount, but when I sit down to play I could hardly give a shit, I don't play for theory, I play for my own benifit, it is my damned release, and when I do write it mostly has to do with my emotions, it just so happens that I am usually fucking pissed. Anyways, for me it comes down to shred and melody/harmonization.

I don't think learning theory would hurt a player who already has inspirations to become unique and express with his own chops, but at the same time I don't think it's necessary either. George Lynch is another famous guitar slinger that never really had any music theory until he was already famous.

Bryant

Bryant said:
I don't think learning theory would hurt a player who already has inspirations to become unique and express with his own chops, but at the same time I don't think it's necessary either. George Lynch is another famous guitar slinger that never really had any music theory until he was already famous.

Bryant

Haha, he still doesn't know much. I took a lesson from him once and whenever I would ask something theoretical he'd have no clue.

SADUDE said:
Id like to discuss more the flame...
I agree Schoenberg can be random for the sake of it. Im not going to argue you with you and say I listen to the stuff all day, but I can appreciate its originallity. I should rephrase some of my original spiel. I was thinking more along the lines of unresolving dissonant structures. The music of Bartok Im mainly referring to. In doesn't really seem to adhere to most of the rules set by voice leading and tonal resolution. Sometimes it seems like our tonal system is a little limiting, and has been exhausted to its limits. Im not saying add more and go into middle eastern scales with quarter tones though. Id like to find a more unexplored method and still have tonal centers. Jazz did this by constantly modulating. What else is there? How can music in a comprehendable tonal sense remain interesting?

MOTN: You seem like you may know something about music and classical as well. If so how late does your classical tastes go? You seem to dislike 20th century. What about Chopin and the romantic era? Is chromaticism too elite for you? Say something more of some of the composers i've mentioned in previous posts.

Never mind dude I was just trolling. I haven't even heard Schoenberg, just heard about him.