My ears are going deaf! HELP!

Clark Kent

Jan 23, 2011
I need you help guys since I know you guys have proper ears and proper studio monitors around you!

I've been mixing my pop bands album for a while now and my ears are so fatigued that everything just sounds bad to me. Please take a listen to this track and tell me if I'm way off. My philosophy was to trust Orange and do nothing to the guitars and mix everything else to fit the unprocessed guitars.

Feedback please!! Thanks in advance guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
@clarke
to me the drums sounds kinda "small", they could drive the song more.
frequency-wise, pretty good i would say, maybe a little clean-up-work to do in the low-mids (bass / guitars) and more power in the low-end?

@S1770
your "rework" sounds terrible, like most of your "reworks" i have heard. pumpy, phasey and scooped and harsh.
sorry for the rude words, but i think you need to listen more to world-class-mixes for referencing while your doing your "rework".
what is your monitoring-system and how loud do you listen while you're working? sounds like you rework at very low volume and compensate the fletcher-mounsen-curve... (boosting lows and highs)

cheers!

Thanks for the feedback guys! I don't know what that rework file is. :)

k.h.e, I've been thinking about the low end cleaning thing myself so thanks for reminding me! The drum punch thing might simply be a cause of that or maybe guitar and bass are too loud. :) Something like that.

Keep it coming guys!!

S1770, in your rework the snare is literally just a click. What's up with that? No offence man, but it sounds horrible. Literally just sounds like you've downloaded it from soundcloud, slapped an Ozone preset on it and exported as 128kbps MP3.

Haha... is my Transient Designer abuse on the snare a bit too much? What do you guys think? :D

Same here, seems way too dark for a pop mix. I think the snare is the main problem, it's supposed to be driving the song but it's literally the smallest part of the mix.

I can't tell if it's the rhythm guitars or the bass, but something is really rubbing me the wrong way. Maybe both? Agitated by the kick? For 'raw' guitars, they lack a lot of mid definition.

S1770, in your rework the snare is literally just a click. What's up with that? No offence man, but it sounds horrible. Literally just sounds like you've downloaded it from soundcloud, slapped an Ozone preset on it and exported as 128kbps MP3.

the rework was in reference to this is how the song would sound if submitted and played on mainstream fm radio

wouldnt sound to good huh?

maybe time to re think of frequencys :)

S1770

Thanks for the feedback you've been EXTREMELY helpful! I did something extreme to the mix... well many things actually so I'd love to get some opinions if the direction I went is for the better or worse! Thanks for all the help already!

Last edited by a moderator:
The mix got a little better, but the vocals got worse. It's better, but it still doesn't sound like pop.

I honestly feel that the snare needs a reverb tail, or needs to be a little more honky, and the guitars, for this type of music, should be a little more buried, perhaps bring them down/cut 10k slightly. Thats just my opinion.

+1 to more verb (mix sounds very one dimensional)
the snare sucks (sorry), blend some samples
too much stuff in the lower mid area that should be tidied up

guiars are cool :)

To me it sounds great, very tidy. You might wanna through a compressor with a low ratio, fast attack and medium release on the 2-buss to glue everything together. Maybe even some 'verb if the comp doesn't get it right.