my equipment and your opinions

jeff666

New Metal Member
Nov 10, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Hey I just wanna say I'm pretty new to PC software for a home recording studio.

I graduated from the 1980's throw a clean TDK into the boom box in the garage and hit record/play. Then moved up to a Tascam 4 track, followed by a minidisc recorder, and was good for 10 or so years. A few years back I picked up a Boss BR-900 CD and was lovin it but it started to have problems registering key presses last year...now I use it as preamp.

I was in a fix and having never tried any type of PC multitracking I grabbed Audacity. At first I was using the drum machine from the BR900 but found a free program called Rhythm Rascal that uses 16 bit wav samples :/ not great but better than where I started.

So in my current setup I'm recording direct into the BR900 out to the PC mic input into Audacity at 48000 24bit stereo for programmed drums and mono for everything else. My only microphone is a Sony F-V220 Dynamic for vocals. I have no monitor speakers just some Sony studio headphones, so I have to use CDRW to listen to mixes on my stereo and in the truck to hear how things really sound.

Well that's about all of it I have no real budget to go out and buy cool stuff like ProTools or Superior Drummer, just an unemployed musician trying to make the best of what I've got so if anyone reads this and knows of some ways I could improve this or knows some free programs that are a step up from where I'm at I'm all ears.

heaps of free plugs out there that are really good, try googling. I remember seeing some link with someone who had collected all these free plugs and put it up as a download.

Also have a look at reaper, I think it is like $60, it is a very good DAW. It will be very hard for you with tha gear, but try and use reference cds as much as possible when mixing with your headphones

also search this forum, there is a large collection of drum samples "erkans - for example"

Yeah. Reaper, some nice free VST Amp Sim (I have no idea what's the hottest free amp sim plug-in at the moment, but some of the guys here will surely recommend you one), some half-way decent interface you can plug your guitar, bass and mic into, the cheapest decent-sounding virtual drummer software you can find, shit loads of reading through this forum and you'll be fine for a long time with a minimal investment :)

Thanks guys Reaper looks great and its only $40 I think I can hock my playstation games for this. I'll check around for some better drum software too. I think Reaper will support VST instruments, Audacity didn't so this wasn't an option before.

hey a quick question about reaper. once you bought the license and your final upgrade passes do you have to buy another license to use the program or you just don't get new upgrades?

hey a quick question about reaper. once you bought the license and your final upgrade passes do you have to buy another license to use the program or you just don't get new upgrades?
Upgrades are free, once you've got a license you're free to use the program and get updates :)

I think it says on the website more info on this though:

reaper.fm said:
The Future of REAPER Pricing

When You Buy What You Pay What You Get
Now $150 full / $40 discounted Free upgrades through REAPER 4.99
After REAPER 4 is released $225 full / $60 discounted Free upgrades through REAPER 5.99

Some specifics:

Existing REAPER 3 license holders will receive REAPER 4 as a free upgrade, and will continue to receive free upgrades through REAPER 4.99.

Existing REAPER 2 license holders will be able to purchase a new REAPER 4 license of the same type for $50.
The new license will include free upgrades through REAPER 5.99. This offer will be available after REAPER 4
is released.

REAPER 1 was released in August 2006.
REAPER 2 was released in October 2007.
REAPER 3 was released in May 2009.
REAPER 4 is expected to be released near the end of 2010 or the beginning of 2011.

You can use the demo for as long as you like, It took me over 300 days before I bought my license, then they lowered the price! For $40 REAPER is a no-brainer. Audacity is like recording on a wax cylinder compared to REAPER

You can use the demo for as long as you like, It took me over 300 days before I bought my license, then they lowered the price! For $40 REAPER is a no-brainer. Audacity is like recording on a wax cylinder compared to REAPER

yeah i'm digging the real time effect chaining \m/